Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Definition of Normal Vectors for flux

Rajlakshmi Purkayastha

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm using the Nerst Planck equations to model flow of ions and I'm having some confusion regarding the sign for the fluxes. The boundary conditions allow for an 'inward current' as well as a mass flux. Are the signs of the normals for these two boundary conditions the same or are they reversed? (I am defining a normal here as poiinting outwards from the domain under consideration)

I have a circular subdomain inside a rectangle. For the circular subdomain I would assmue that the normal is pointing outwards, away from the center of the circle. For rectangular subdomain, at the interface between the circle and the rectangle, the normal would be pointing outwards from the rectangular domain, hence this time, towards the center of the circle. Are these assumptions correct?

Thanks!
Best Regards
raj

0 Replies Last Post 19 ott 2010, 13:11 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Rajlakshmi Purkayastha

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.