Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Defining initial stress from another component in a two-component model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I am attempting to use a two-component, 2D axisymmetric structural mechanics model to simulate the growth of a volcano and its evolving stress field. The first component contains the initial geometry, before the volcano is built. I visco-elastically deformed this geometry, and used the moving mesh interface to remesh the deformed configuration. I then imported the deformed geometry into my second component, and built a volcano on top of it.

I want to define the initial stress of the deformed geometry in my second component from the stresses calculated in the first component. In other words, I want to accompany the deformed geometry with its calculated stress field. (For example, I defined comp1.solid1.sr to be the radial stress calculated from the Solid Mechanics interface (which I defined as Solid1) in Component 1). After I enter each stress variable into the initial stress tensor, the text remains black (it does not turn yellow or red), so I'm assuming that my variable definitions are correct. However, when I try to run a study for component 2, I am told that my solver step has encountered an undefined variable, and lists one of my stress variables from the first component.

Why does this occur, even though the variables are not highlighted yellow or red in the initial stress and strain node of Component 2? Is there another way for me to apply the stress field calculated from Component 1->Solid 1 to Component 2 -> Solid 2?

(I think my problem is similar to www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/106211, but the suggested solution does not solve my problem. I get the undefined variable message regardless of whether I include both components in the same study or separate studies).

Thank you.

0 Replies Last Post 10 lug 2017, 15:54 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Robert Goldman

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.