Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Non-selected node affects end-results

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have various physics nodes in one single project. (Both are Transport of Diluted Species nodes.) One of them works with a variable "n" and another "h". I also have a Study, with a Step which is Time Dependent. Here, in "Physics and Variables Selection", I only select one of the two nodes (let's say, with output "n"). However, when I plot out the results (i.e variable "n"), these seem to be influenced by both nodes. When I only plot "h", I get 0, as it should be.
When I disable the second node (the one with "h"), and redo the study, then the result, plotting "n" is as expected.
In other words: the "n" result depends on whether or not the "h"-node is enabled, even though the "h-node" is not included in the time-dependent Study Step (nor in any other Study Step)! How is this possible?
Why does a node influence my result, even when the node it is not selected in the Study section?

Best regards,

Machiel

P.D. (I have COMSOL multiphysics 4.3a)

4 Replies Last Post 29 ott 2013, 07:45 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 ott 2013, 13:22 GMT-4

Hi again,

After investigating some more, I found that this problem only occurs, when the "non-selected" node has a variable "h". Whenever I change the name of the variable, the problem is solved.
Actually, when I switch on the node, with variable "h", the program gets stuck. However, changing the variable name, the program gives a good result.
From this I deduced that "h" was some kind of proteced variable (Planck's constant). Fair enough. However, when I use "c" instead of "h", the problem does not occur.
In any case, shouldn't COMSOL give me a warning when I accidently use a constant as a variable name?

Best regards,

Machiel
Hi again, After investigating some more, I found that this problem only occurs, when the "non-selected" node has a variable "h". Whenever I change the name of the variable, the problem is solved. Actually, when I switch on the node, with variable "h", the program gets stuck. However, changing the variable name, the program gives a good result. From this I deduced that "h" was some kind of proteced variable (Planck's constant). Fair enough. However, when I use "c" instead of "h", the problem does not occur. In any case, shouldn't COMSOL give me a warning when I accidently use a constant as a variable name? Best regards, Machiel

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 ott 2013, 14:55 GMT-4
h is the element size, per Reference Manual, version 4.3b, page 244.
h_const is the Planck constant, per Reference Manual, version 4.3b, page 257.
c_const is the speed of light, per Reference Manual, version 4.3b, page 257.
c is the default name for concentration if you have a mass transfer equation in your file, per Reference Manual, version 4.3b, page 714.
Best,
Jeff
h is the element size, per Reference Manual, version 4.3b, page 244. h_const is the Planck constant, per Reference Manual, version 4.3b, page 257. c_const is the speed of light, per Reference Manual, version 4.3b, page 257. c is the default name for concentration if you have a mass transfer equation in your file, per Reference Manual, version 4.3b, page 714. Best, Jeff

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 ott 2013, 06:27 GMT-4

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply and confirm this issue. I don't have version 4.3b, but 4.3a, but in the User Guide, on pages 153 and 166, I found the information as you stated. I use two Transport of Diluted Species nodes, so I can't just stick to the default "c". Anyway, I will be more careful in selecting variable names in future.
Still, I think it might not be a bad idea if COMSOL would provide some warning when a user tries to use certain reserved variables (like h or t or x) in the inappropiate place.
Best regards,

Machiel
Hi, Thank you very much for your reply and confirm this issue. I don't have version 4.3b, but 4.3a, but in the User Guide, on pages 153 and 166, I found the information as you stated. I use two Transport of Diluted Species nodes, so I can't just stick to the default "c". Anyway, I will be more careful in selecting variable names in future. Still, I think it might not be a bad idea if COMSOL would provide some warning when a user tries to use certain reserved variables (like h or t or x) in the inappropiate place. Best regards, Machiel

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 ott 2013, 07:45 GMT-4
Hi Machiel,
Thank you for your feedback.
Best regards,
Jeff
Hi Machiel, Thank you for your feedback. Best regards, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.