Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

negative index in product of combustion

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

Im tryin to simulate combustion in combustion chamber. the fuel is gas pyrolysis (ch4, c2h6, h2, and co) it enter the domain from the bottom of the chamber. i also have air input which comes into chamber from holes at the side of chamber.

i use 3 interfaces :
-heat transfer in fluid
-turbulent k-e
-transport in diluted species

the problem is, concentration result seems so unlogic because there are some spot where the reactant increase and also only a little spot the product exist. and the product is decrease.

hopefully anyopne could help me to get out from this problem.

thank you

3 Replies Last Post 3 feb 2015, 23:28 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 giu 2013, 03:19 GMT-4
Hi,

I have noticed same problem with concentration. Usually high concentration is coming to places were flow is rotating at one place. Also there could be numerical errors from coarse mesh.

Low concentration near walls is coming from wall function. k-epsilon turbulence wall function cannot handle concentration flow in/out of wall area. Due to this material which is going inside to wall function area is disappearing. One solution could be to use "slip" condition to walls.

New Comsol 4.3b is containing EDC (EDM) model. Model contains functions how to handle wall function and concentration.

Best regards

Tero Hietanen
Hi, I have noticed same problem with concentration. Usually high concentration is coming to places were flow is rotating at one place. Also there could be numerical errors from coarse mesh. Low concentration near walls is coming from wall function. k-epsilon turbulence wall function cannot handle concentration flow in/out of wall area. Due to this material which is going inside to wall function area is disappearing. One solution could be to use "slip" condition to walls. New Comsol 4.3b is containing EDC (EDM) model. Model contains functions how to handle wall function and concentration. Best regards Tero Hietanen

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 giu 2013, 20:07 GMT-4
Hi tero,

Thank you for your answer. i tried to use slip wall but i cant get convergence for my diluted species interface. and i dont know why. does the solver influence convergence? my study is stationer. then i use fully-coupled-double dogleg because i read that this solver special for stationar study but the error come down slowly. then i try to use fully-coupled-automatic (newton) as a default, then i didnt get any convergence. the convergence is fluctuative.

thank you
Hi tero, Thank you for your answer. i tried to use slip wall but i cant get convergence for my diluted species interface. and i dont know why. does the solver influence convergence? my study is stationer. then i use fully-coupled-double dogleg because i read that this solver special for stationar study but the error come down slowly. then i try to use fully-coupled-automatic (newton) as a default, then i didnt get any convergence. the convergence is fluctuative. thank you

Posted: 9 years ago 3 feb 2015, 23:28 GMT-5
Hi, Tero,
Would you please give me any advice on my COMSOL simulation on steady state 1-D premixed laminar combustion of hydrogen in a cylinder with specific diameter with temperature-dependent thermodynamic and transport properties to get the space-dependent temperature and concentration profile? I want to use the temperature-dependent thermodynamic and transport properties , so I developed Model 1 but I did not get any result because of an error which I do not know how to solve. Would you please help me with this ?
I really appreciate your help.
Best,
Kate
Hi, Tero, Would you please give me any advice on my COMSOL simulation on steady state 1-D premixed laminar combustion of hydrogen in a cylinder with specific diameter with temperature-dependent thermodynamic and transport properties to get the space-dependent temperature and concentration profile? I want to use the temperature-dependent thermodynamic and transport properties , so I developed Model 1 but I did not get any result because of an error which I do not know how to solve. Would you please help me with this ? I really appreciate your help. Best, Kate

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.