Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Moving mesh 2D

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I am trying to simulate the moving boundary for a 2D geometry.

I started with a simple 2D geometry where 1 boundary is moving in the x-direction and 1 boundary in y-direction, but because the boundaries are connected in one point, that point cannot move in x and y in the same time. For this reason i did a filet and the added boundary is moving in x and y.

My problem is that after specifying the velocities for which the boundaries are moving and hit compute, inverted mesh elements appears after 11 seconds. Even if I change the mesh quality the problem is not solved.

Mai I know why is behaving like this and what should I do in order to move the boundary further?

I attached the model for a better view.

7 Replies Last Post 17 mag 2013, 02:35 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 apr 2013, 17:05 GMT-4
Hi,
I used to face similar problem. I found that changing the mesh smoothing from "Laplace" to "Hyperelastic" has helped me a lot. It has eliminated inverted meshes and enabled me to achieve higher mesh displacement. Also activate the "Mesh Smoothing Velocity". This is under " Normal Mesh Velocity" tab. It is unchecked by default.

Hope this works for you,
Sanket
Hi, I used to face similar problem. I found that changing the mesh smoothing from "Laplace" to "Hyperelastic" has helped me a lot. It has eliminated inverted meshes and enabled me to achieve higher mesh displacement. Also activate the "Mesh Smoothing Velocity". This is under " Normal Mesh Velocity" tab. It is unchecked by default. Hope this works for you, Sanket

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 apr 2013, 09:35 GMT-4
I tried what you suggested Sanket but I still have this problem.

Other hints from you or someone else will be much appreciated.

I tried what you suggested Sanket but I still have this problem. Other hints from you or someone else will be much appreciated.

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 apr 2013, 15:32 GMT-4
I assume you have already tried "automatic remeshing". I haven't had much luck with it. But you can give it a try nevertheless.
I assume you have already tried "automatic remeshing". I haven't had much luck with it. But you can give it a try nevertheless.

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 apr 2013, 11:32 GMT-4
If you mean to check the box automatic remeshing in the solver, yes i did this point.
If you mean to check the box automatic remeshing in the solver, yes i did this point.

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 apr 2013, 09:29 GMT-4
I am officially stuck at this point. Can I have some help ?

Best regards
I am officially stuck at this point. Can I have some help ? Best regards

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 mag 2013, 01:23 GMT-4
Does anyone have an idea about how should be done this moving boundary in a 2D geometry ?
Does anyone have an idea about how should be done this moving boundary in a 2D geometry ?

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 mag 2013, 02:35 GMT-4
nobody?
nobody?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.