Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Resistivity change vs deflection

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

dear all,

How to plot the resistivity change of a simple piezoresistor vs deflection of a membrane in a MEMS sensor?

thanks

4 Replies Last Post 16 mar 2013, 11:46 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 mar 2013, 18:11 GMT-4
Hi

normally you can get impedance info from the defalt lumped port/terminal variables, and for the deflection you must define as a new variable with i.e. an integration of a point, or an average (coupling operator) over a bondary (often cleaner).

Then solve for a parametric seep such to scan your stress levels / displacements, and use a line plot of the resistance with a user defned x axis expression corresponding to your deflection.

You can also do it by plotting a table filled from a few derived variables, by using anual selction of columns

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi normally you can get impedance info from the defalt lumped port/terminal variables, and for the deflection you must define as a new variable with i.e. an integration of a point, or an average (coupling operator) over a bondary (often cleaner). Then solve for a parametric seep such to scan your stress levels / displacements, and use a line plot of the resistance with a user defned x axis expression corresponding to your deflection. You can also do it by plotting a table filled from a few derived variables, by using anual selction of columns -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 mar 2013, 08:25 GMT-4
Hi Dear Ivar,
First of all I thank you so much for your answer. I simulat the deflection of the membrane but for calculating the resistivity of a resistor is there any example in COMSOl 4.3?

regards
Hi Dear Ivar, First of all I thank you so much for your answer. I simulat the deflection of the membrane but for calculating the resistivity of a resistor is there any example in COMSOl 4.3? regards

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 mar 2013, 16:09 GMT-4
Hi

you mean the electric resistance of a conducting media ? I believe so, even the joule heating uses that, implictely, the simples draw your conductor, add one terminal to GND, the second to a given V or I, then solve and plot V/I, it's as simple as that.

Now you can add HT and see it heat up, if your sigma conductance is T dependent you will get R(T), and if you add/replace EC by MEF you can get inductance included for a given frequency

It should be rather straihtforward, no ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you mean the electric resistance of a conducting media ? I believe so, even the joule heating uses that, implictely, the simples draw your conductor, add one terminal to GND, the second to a given V or I, then solve and plot V/I, it's as simple as that. Now you can add HT and see it heat up, if your sigma conductance is T dependent you will get R(T), and if you add/replace EC by MEF you can get inductance included for a given frequency It should be rather straihtforward, no ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 mar 2013, 11:46 GMT-4
Hello Dear Ivar,
Thank you very very much. You solved my problem.

Best regards
Hello Dear Ivar, Thank you very very much. You solved my problem. Best regards

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.