Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Basic issue with plotting derivative

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everybody,

I am using the 2d structural mechanics for static simulations of a cantilever undergoing a point force. I want to plot the derivative of the deflection u by respect to the position x along a boundary. But plotting d(u,x) gives me a zeroed value function.
By digging in the forum, I thought first that this may be due to the order of the shape function, but it should not be an issue in my case as I just want to know a first order derivative. It looks like a basic issue but I do not find the solution.

Thanks

1 Reply Last Post 21 feb 2013, 08:23 GMT-5
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 feb 2013, 08:23 GMT-5
Hi,

There are two issues here:

1. Since the Solid Mechanics interface is defined on the 'Material frame', the displacements are functions of the material coordinates (X,Y,Z) rather than the spatial coordinates (x,y,z).

2. Still, it will not be possible to evaluate d(u,X) on a boundary or an edge, since such derivatives are only available in the domain. So in a Volume plot, you would be able to display that quantity.

The solution to your problem is however simple: There are built-in variables uX, vX etc. which you can use in your graphs.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, There are two issues here: 1. Since the Solid Mechanics interface is defined on the 'Material frame', the displacements are functions of the material coordinates (X,Y,Z) rather than the spatial coordinates (x,y,z). 2. Still, it will not be possible to evaluate d(u,X) on a boundary or an edge, since such derivatives are only available in the domain. So in a Volume plot, you would be able to display that quantity. The solution to your problem is however simple: There are built-in variables uX, vX etc. which you can use in your graphs. Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.