Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

time and position dependent reaction

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

i am very new to this and not sure which moduls of the comsol software are needed to solve my problem.

there will be a phase change with heat production(white box-> black box in the attached file), but for the phase change the contact to the "black" phase is provided and its depending on the temperature where the next step of the transition is going on. for sure both phases have different physical properties.

i thought to use the heat transfer module and the reaction module, but there i couldnt find a function to localize the species A and B. is there any possibility to define position of the species A and B in the begining?

or should i use another modul of the software?

of course in the end i wanna see step by step where is phase is changing

2 Replies Last Post 21 nov 2012, 10:29 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 nov 2012, 15:21 GMT-5
Hi

I'm not sure its the simplest, does not appear very natural for me, but with COMSOL you can do many interesting and astonshing things. Why not take a look at the model library self organising bridge or "loaded knee" structures (probably in "SOLID"(I'm not by my WS just now)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure its the simplest, does not appear very natural for me, but with COMSOL you can do many interesting and astonshing things. Why not take a look at the model library self organising bridge or "loaded knee" structures (probably in "SOLID"(I'm not by my WS just now) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 nov 2012, 10:29 GMT-5
the physical phenomenon which i wann simulate is dendritic freezig of a supercooled liquid.

based on the example "phase change" which i transferd to the 2D case. i thought of replacing T_trans = 0° by T_trans = max((273.15-T)*(theta_ice-theta_ice^2)). So that the reaction/phase change is taking place where a good mixture (theta_ice - theta_ice^2) and a high supercooling (273.15-T) is given by the system. would that be possible ? does anyone has an idea how this could be modeled with comsol?
the physical phenomenon which i wann simulate is dendritic freezig of a supercooled liquid. based on the example "phase change" which i transferd to the 2D case. i thought of replacing T_trans = 0° by T_trans = max((273.15-T)*(theta_ice-theta_ice^2)). So that the reaction/phase change is taking place where a good mixture (theta_ice - theta_ice^2) and a high supercooling (273.15-T) is given by the system. would that be possible ? does anyone has an idea how this could be modeled with comsol?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.