Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

"Constant" choice in Element Order for Discontinuous Lagrange Shape Function!

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi. I'm using COMSOL PDE to solve a set of partial differential equations that are linked together. In element order, there is a "constant" choice, but I don't know what that means! For example, I know what a "linear" element order means, but I don't know what a "constant" option means here. I get a better result with that choice! This "constant" choice only shows up in element order when the "Discontinuous Lagrange" shape function is chosen. So, what does that mean compared to "Linear," "Quadratic," and other choices? Thank you in advance for your help. Best, Mahdi

3 Replies Last Post 25 mag 2023, 14:18 GMT-4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 months ago 25 mag 2023, 10:09 GMT-4

The value of the field described by this shape function is constant over each element. One effect is that it cannot be differentiated, since its gradient is zero.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
The value of the field described by this shape function is constant over each element. One effect is that it cannot be differentiated, since its gradient is zero.

Posted: 10 months ago 25 mag 2023, 14:17 GMT-4
Updated: 10 months ago 25 mag 2023, 14:25 GMT-4

Thank you.

Thank you.

Posted: 10 months ago 25 mag 2023, 14:18 GMT-4

Hi Henrik. Thanks for the explanation.

It is a surface evolution model, and z coordinate is the field to be solved with respect to time and (x,y) coordinates. After some run time, the geometry is still curved; it was initially an intact sphere and it is now a deformed sphere. How a smooth curved shape is possible using a constant shape function? Can you explain this more?

And, does constant shape function have the ability to capture the numerical solution accurately?

Thank you in advance for your help.

>The value of the field described by this shape function is constant over each element. One effect is that it cannot be differentiated, since its gradient is zero. Hi Henrik. Thanks for the explanation. It is a surface evolution model, and z coordinate is the field to be solved with respect to time and (x,y) coordinates. After some run time, the geometry is still curved; it was initially an intact sphere and it is now a deformed sphere. How a smooth curved shape is possible using a constant shape function? Can you explain this more? And, does constant shape function have the ability to capture the numerical solution accurately? Thank you in advance for your help.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.