Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Bolted Langevin (ultrasonic) transducer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am just started with the use of comsol, I improved/corrected my model many times, but there is one problem I can't solve.

I am trying to model a ultrasonic transducer to get its frequency response. For this I am using the Acoustic-Piezoelectric interaction, Frequency domain. I added the geometry, materials, crystal orientation, boundary conditions and solved the problem.

However in the geometry is used the "form union" finalization. Which I think means that all the domains are 'glued' together. However, looking at the physical point of view, the frequency response of the transducer is influenced by the elasticity of the bolt, since the whole structure is bolted together. This means if using a form union finishing method, the top part of the bolt becomes part of the layers it clamps and is unable to stretch. I tried forming an assembly, but i can't get the boundary conditions right. So nothing happens than except for the deformation of the crystals.

I also tried to cheat my way out of this by adding a small crevice where the bolt should not be attached, but this messes up the mesh.

Anyone knows how to wash this big as we say in the Netherlands? Any modeling tips for this anyway?
BTW this is what I am trying to make:
www.mpi-ultrasonics.com/images/figure1-piezoelectric-transducer.gif

1 Reply Last Post 27 ago 2016, 05:32 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Andries van Wijhe

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 27 ago 2016, 05:32 GMT-4
hello,maybe i can help you. but my english is so bad,so……if you still need help, you can contact me with email: lavande16@live.com
hello,maybe i can help you. but my english is so bad,so……if you still need help, you can contact me with email: lavande16@live.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.