Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

femur modeling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!
I am building a model of femur(thigh bone) and aim at studying their stress and strain distribution on applying a pint load.I have built the model but it doesn't seem to compute,and i can't figure out why.Please check the model and point out the errors that need correction.

6 Replies Last Post 19 ott 2012, 10:15 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 ott 2012, 15:04 GMT-4
In your model, mesh is not defined in all domains or on boundaries and also it is not fine enough for solver to converge the solution. And under Prescribed displacement you need to select boundary surfaces.
In your model, mesh is not defined in all domains or on boundaries and also it is not fine enough for solver to converge the solution. And under Prescribed displacement you need to select boundary surfaces.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 ott 2012, 03:17 GMT-4
Hi

I can only stress: avoid using point or edge constrints, but only 1 level lower than domain => boundary loads. All other make singularities and it far more difficult to analyse your models

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I can only stress: avoid using point or edge constrints, but only 1 level lower than domain => boundary loads. All other make singularities and it far more difficult to analyse your models -- Good luck Ivar

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 ott 2012, 08:32 GMT-4
You are applying the bone material to the boundaries not the domains, and the same for the mesh. Both should be defined at the domain level unless you want to use shell elements.
You are applying the bone material to the boundaries not the domains, and the same for the mesh. Both should be defined at the domain level unless you want to use shell elements.

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 ott 2012, 09:17 GMT-4
Thank you for your valuable reply Sir.
I am stuck at an error saying "System matrix is zero".Is there a way to rectify it?
Thank you for your valuable reply Sir. I am stuck at an error saying "System matrix is zero".Is there a way to rectify it?

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 ott 2012, 10:01 GMT-4

Thank you for your valuable reply Sir.
I am stuck at an error saying "System matrix is zero".Is there a way to rectify it?

Though i have changed from point load to a boundary load,and want to plot von-mises stress distribution,the computation shows errors,with the system matrix being zero.Pls let me how to work on it?
[QUOTE] Thank you for your valuable reply Sir. I am stuck at an error saying "System matrix is zero".Is there a way to rectify it? [/QUOTE] Though i have changed from point load to a boundary load,and want to plot von-mises stress distribution,the computation shows errors,with the system matrix being zero.Pls let me how to work on it?

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 ott 2012, 10:15 GMT-4
If you would have followed mine and Nagi's suggestions, you should get the solution.
If you would have followed mine and Nagi's suggestions, you should get the solution.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.