Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

temperature in global equation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have a Joule heating model, this model includes two blocks, the upper block size is 2cm*2cm*0.5cm and the lower block size is the same.

It is assumed that the voltage difference of upper block is U1 and the voltage difference of lower block is U2.

The sum of U1 and U2 is a known value, the ratio of U1 and U2 is related to T(temperature)

I used global equation to try to find out the value of U1 and U2, the software shows the error information

'Failed to evaluate variable.
- Variable: mod1.T
- Global scope
Failed to evaluate expression.
- Expression: mod1.T'

I have given the initial value to U1, U2 and T, they are all 300.

Thanks

3 Replies Last Post 9 ott 2012, 07:52 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 ott 2012, 16:47 GMT-4
Hi

it's very difficult for us to tell, just with the explanations you give as it can come from many things.
In Joule heating the dependent variable T is mostly referred to as T and not mod1.T. Except if you have defined variables referring to Tin the Global Variable nodes, instead of having set them inthe Model Definitions Variable node

difficut to guess more ...

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi it's very difficult for us to tell, just with the explanations you give as it can come from many things. In Joule heating the dependent variable T is mostly referred to as T and not mod1.T. Except if you have defined variables referring to Tin the Global Variable nodes, instead of having set them inthe Model Definitions Variable node difficut to guess more ... -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 ott 2012, 04:44 GMT-4
Hello,Ivar:

Many thanks for your quick reply.

I have done as you said, but it still des not work.

I atached my model so that you could see it clearly.

Thank you very much
Hello,Ivar: Many thanks for your quick reply. I have done as you said, but it still des not work. I atached my model so that you could see it clearly. Thank you very much

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 ott 2012, 07:52 GMT-4
Hello, Bin,

I think you are confusing the field variable T with some temperature, you call also T as a variable (in Model/Definitions/Variables). Really, do you want that the T appearing in your Global Equations be the dependent variable T (this is the error given by COMSOL, and he is telling you that T is not a global variable), or some global temperature (for instance, the average one)?
I suppose your election is the second one, as U1 and U2 are already global variables. In that case, you can define that temperature as an average over both domains.

Bye,

Jesus.
Hello, Bin, I think you are confusing the field variable T with some temperature, you call also T as a variable (in Model/Definitions/Variables). Really, do you want that the T appearing in your Global Equations be the dependent variable T (this is the error given by COMSOL, and he is telling you that T is not a global variable), or some global temperature (for instance, the average one)? I suppose your election is the second one, as U1 and U2 are already global variables. In that case, you can define that temperature as an average over both domains. Bye, Jesus.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.