Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Declaring Material Property as Function of x-coordinate

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am attempting to declare a material property (young's modulus) as a function of the x coordinates of the model. The function is an interpolation function titled E, so I inputted a table that corresponds to the x values and their respective E values. Then, in the material declarations, I input E(x) as the value for the young's modulus. When I build the model and check a 3D volume plot of the young's modulus values of the object, the values are also changing as a function of y and z coordinates. Additionally, the value on the model does not match the value in the interpolation table. For example, at x = .004, E should equal 312. But instead, at x = .004, E = about 327.

Any help?

9 Replies Last Post 28 nov 2021, 19:44 GMT-5

Posted: 2 years ago 18 nov 2021, 17:35 GMT-5

For example, with the x-coordinate being moving to the right, I should not be seeing the change in young's modulus values in the z direction that is clearly seen in the image when I call young's modulus as E(X).

For example, with the x-coordinate being moving to the right, I should not be seeing the change in young's modulus values in the z direction that is clearly seen in the image when I call young's modulus as E(X).

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago 19 nov 2021, 02:19 GMT-5

Is your analysis geometrically nonlinear? In that case, it is important that you use a function of the material coordinate, X, and not the spatial coordinate, x.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Is your analysis geometrically nonlinear? In that case, it is important that you use a function of the material coordinate, X, and not the spatial coordinate, x.

Posted: 2 years ago 21 nov 2021, 13:28 GMT-5

Henrik, thanks for the response. I am using the material coordinate X. So, my Young's Modulus value is denoted E(X). However, I am still receiving the same response with young's modulus values changing in the y and z direction. Do you know of anything else that could be causing this?

Henrik, thanks for the response. I am using the material coordinate X. So, my Young's Modulus value is denoted E(X). However, I am still receiving the same response with young's modulus values changing in the y and z direction. Do you know of anything else that could be causing this?

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago 22 nov 2021, 03:46 GMT-5

Is it possible for you to upload an example?

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Is it possible for you to upload an example?

Posted: 2 years ago 24 nov 2021, 09:28 GMT-5
Updated: 2 years ago 24 nov 2021, 12:32 GMT-5

In this simplified example, a sphere is created that should progress in young's modulus values starting at the center and moving to increased x values, as denoted by E(X). However, the young's modulus values are also changing with respect to the Y and Z coordinates.

In this simplified example, a sphere is created that should progress in young's modulus values starting at the center and moving to increased x values, as denoted by E(X). However, the young's modulus values are also changing with respect to the Y and Z coordinates.

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago 24 nov 2021, 09:44 GMT-5

Hi Coleman,

I got an error when opening your example file. It seems like there is an interpolation data file that needs to be supplied for the model to work.

Best regards,

Magnus

Hi Coleman, I got an error when opening your example file. It seems like there is an interpolation data file that needs to be supplied for the model to work. Best regards, Magnus

Posted: 2 years ago 24 nov 2021, 12:33 GMT-5

Magnus, My apologies you are correct. The txt file should be present now.

Magnus, My apologies you are correct. The txt file should be present now.

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago 25 nov 2021, 02:57 GMT-5

Hi Coleman,

I don't really see the effect that you observe. Perhaps a volume plot is not the best view of the Young's modulus. In the attached model, I have added three Cut Line 3D datasets for plotting line graphs in the x, y, and z directions. Only the x-direction plot shows a variation. I have also added a Cut Point 3D dataset at the location (0.004, 0, 0), and evaluating solid.E at that point gives a value of about 312 MPa.

To run this model, you need to browse to and select the text file at the location where it is stored on your computer.

Best regards,

Magnus

Hi Coleman, I don't really see the effect that you observe. Perhaps a volume plot is not the best view of the Young's modulus. In the attached model, I have added three **Cut Line 3D** datasets for plotting line graphs in the *x*, *y*, and *z* directions. Only the *x*-direction plot shows a variation. I have also added a **Cut Point 3D** dataset at the location (0.004, 0, 0), and evaluating `solid.E` at that point gives a value of about 312 MPa. To run this model, you need to browse to and select the text file at the location where it is stored on your computer. Best regards, Magnus

Posted: 2 years ago 28 nov 2021, 19:44 GMT-5

Magnus, Thank you for your help. I think my choice of volume plot was not the right choice to view the young's modulus behavior. I believe I am implementing my equation correctly in my model based on the results of the Cut Line 3D and Cut Point 3D choices. Thank you!

Magnus, Thank you for your help. I think my choice of volume plot was not the right choice to view the young's modulus behavior. I believe I am implementing my equation correctly in my model based on the results of the Cut Line 3D and Cut Point 3D choices. Thank you!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.