Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat Transfer & Acoustics simulation not converging

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I have a 2D COMSOL 5.6 simulation that incorporates Heat Transfer, Solid Mechanics, and Pressure Acoustics. I will try to explain as briefly and effectively as I can my simulation and my problem:

It is a 2D simulation. A thin film of Material 1 (fluid) is against Material 2 (solid). Heat Transfer includes both domains, and Deposited Beam Power strikes the exposed face of Material 1. The purpose is to heat up Material 1 (fluid) and produce acoustic waves in Material 2 (solid). Pressure Acoustics physics includes both domains. Solid Mechanics includes only Material 2. I do not have an Acoustic-Structure boundary. I do not have any Fluid physics or a Fluid-Structure boundary. I have denoted Material 1 as Fluid 1 and Material 2 as a solid under the Heat Transfer physics node.

I am using a built-in beam profile and have set the incident intensity. However, niether my Stationary nor my Time Dependent studies are converging. Am I missing some other boundary conditions that should go along with Deposited Beam Power? I have studied and reproduced 'Heating of a Silicon Wafer' to no avail, although I could be missing something critical.

Could someone advise me as to what boundary conditions are a must for a Heat Transfer scenario, and how to properly use Deposited Beam Power? I am new to using Heat Transfer physics in COMSOL.

Thank you for your time. All recommendations, links to Knowledge Bases, or example files are appreciated.

0 Replies Last Post 9 set 2021, 23:15 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Nicholas Garcia

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.