Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electrical currents in porous media

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello!

I am doing simulation of saturated by water sand rock (porosity 0.35). No flow of water, but on the side borders I am applying eleсtric potential difference. Electrical current pathing through water accumulate temperature raising in the rock.

However I can not combine two modules: Electrical current and Heat transfer in Porous media. Comsol requires heat transfer parameters for rock and water, but electrical parameters - only for rock, without water. It can not do both.

How to solve this problem? Am I using wrong modules?

Thank you!

1 Reply Last Post 5 ago 2020, 06:49 GMT-4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago 5 ago 2020, 06:49 GMT-4

Ekaterina,

the problem is that the ec physics doesn't know about the porosity. It only sees one homogeneous domain. A workaround may be to adapt the electrical conductivity of the domain to an effective conductivity of the porous material.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Ekaterina, the problem is that the ec physics doesn't know about the porosity. It only sees one homogeneous domain. A workaround may be to adapt the electrical conductivity of the domain to an effective conductivity of the porous material. Cheers Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.