Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Evaluating average value of variable along the length

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am solving free and porous media physics in the square domain (3D). I want to calculate average flow velocity through one of the four sides of the wall along the length. In 2D, I know that we can use projection coupling variables. I have no idea how to do this for 3D.

I cut my domain along the length into several smaller domains. Now I can use surface average in the derived values to compute the average velocity through the wall at different lengths. The problem is I have many small domains and I hate to manually select the surface every time for computing average. If I select all surfaces at once, I get average of all surfaces not for each surface. Is there anyway to compute surface average automatically at different surfaces?.

I hope you understand what I am saying.

2 Replies Last Post 10 gen 2013, 20:44 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Santhosh Reddy

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Saeid Norouzi Apourvari

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 gen 2013, 21:10 GMT-5
Dear Santosh,

I hope you are doing well,
You said you know how to get an average in 2D. I am solving the same problem you had, but in 2D right now. I am struggling with getting average velocity profile to examine the continuity of the velocity profile. Would you please explain the projection coupling variables?

Thanks and regards,
saeid
Dear Santosh, I hope you are doing well, You said you know how to get an average in 2D. I am solving the same problem you had, but in 2D right now. I am struggling with getting average velocity profile to examine the continuity of the velocity profile. Would you please explain the projection coupling variables? Thanks and regards, saeid

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 gen 2013, 20:44 GMT-5
Hi,

I stopped working on comsol a year ago. So I do not remember the details and do not have software now. I am sure I figured out from the example models. Sorry.
Hi, I stopped working on comsol a year ago. So I do not remember the details and do not have software now. I am sure I figured out from the example models. Sorry.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.