Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to script to get power(P) by integrating electric field (E) and magnetic field (H) in Coplanar waveguide?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dears, I have some query about how to script the formula need to use a calculation of power using the cross product of electric field and magnetic field in the coplanar waveguide? In my case I tried in this way {intop1(-emw.Exemw.Hxt1x-emw.Eyemw.Hyt1y)}; the resulting unit is W/m, but the unit of power is watt (W) only. Note: All the calculation need to do in the RF module in COMSOL So I am requesting all of you can help me to solve this problem?

2 Replies Last Post 23 ago 2019, 03:45 GMT-4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 5 years ago 16 ago 2019, 11:10 GMT-4
Updated: 5 years ago 16 ago 2019, 11:11 GMT-4
  1. First of all, your equation has errors in the variable names. For z-directed power, you would need to integrate emw.Ex * emw.Hy -emw.Ey * emw.Hx. But assuming you are working in the frequency domain, what you really need to integrate is 0.5 * real(emw.Ex * conj(emw.Hy) -emw.Ey * conj(emw.Hx)).
  2. BUT there is no need for you to do this anyway! Instead, just integrate the value of the Poynting vector in the z-direction. And Comsol provides that quantity for you. Specifically, integrate emw.Poavz over the cross-sectional area (in the xy plane) through which the power flows.
-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
1. First of all, your equation has errors in the variable names. For z-directed power, you would need to integrate emw.Ex * emw.Hy -emw.Ey * emw.Hx. But assuming you are working in the frequency domain, what you really need to integrate is 0.5 * real(emw.Ex * conj(emw.Hy) -emw.Ey * conj(emw.Hx)). 2. BUT there is no need for you to do this anyway! Instead, just integrate the value of the Poynting vector in the z-direction. And Comsol provides that quantity for you. Specifically, integrate emw.Poavz over the cross-sectional area (in the xy plane) through which the power flows.

Posted: 5 years ago 23 ago 2019, 03:45 GMT-4

Dear Robert Koslover; I will try using this idea. Actually i did not know about that integrate emw.Poavz and integrate0.5 * real(emw.Ex * conj(emw.Hy) -emw.Ey * conj(emw.Hx)) is same.

Thank you for your valuable suggestion.

Dear Robert Koslover; I will try using this idea. Actually i did not know about that integrate emw.Poavz and integrate0.5 * real(emw.Ex * conj(emw.Hy) -emw.Ey * conj(emw.Hx)) is same. Thank you for your valuable suggestion.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.