Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cross polarization radiation pattern

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,

I want to plot the cross polarization radiation pattern of a simple dipole antenna. Could you plesae tell me how I can do it? Or can you please show it in the attached file.

Thanks Shaghayegh

1 Reply Last Post 12 feb 2019, 16:24 GMT-5
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago 12 feb 2019, 16:24 GMT-5
Updated: 5 years ago 12 feb 2019, 16:31 GMT-5

Well, your dipole is along the z axis. You can plot the x,y, and z components of Efar separately, if you wish. Just look at the options in the pull down menus in the post-processing. Now, to determine what vector components should be considered co- and cross-pol, you'll need to think a little and do a little trignonometry. I'll start: In the far field, there should be no radial component. So that leaves only a theta and phi component. The theta component would appear to be the co-pol, since it lines up with the dipole in any plane that contains the dipole. So that leaves the phi component as the cross-pol. So... all you need to know is how to obtain the phi-component from the cartesian far-field components. And... I presume you won't have trouble finding that information. :)

Note: From the axi-symmetry of the geometry, you won't have any non-zero phi component except for numerical noise, anyway. But if you add other objects to break the symmetry, you could then get such components.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Well, your dipole is along the z axis. You can plot the x,y, and z components of Efar separately, if you wish. Just look at the options in the pull down menus in the post-processing. Now, to determine what vector components should be considered co- and cross-pol, you'll need to think a little and do a little trignonometry. I'll start: In the far field, there should be no radial component. So that leaves only a theta and phi component. The theta component would appear to be the co-pol, since it lines up with the dipole in any plane that contains the dipole. So that leaves the phi component as the cross-pol. So... all you need to know is how to obtain the phi-component from the cartesian far-field components. And... I presume you won't have trouble finding that information. :) Note: From the axi-symmetry of the geometry, you won't have any non-zero phi component except for numerical noise, anyway. But if you add other objects to break the symmetry, you could then get such components.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.