Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Coupled Electro-thermal model (Using variable from one study step as input to another study step

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I am doing a coupled electro-thermal model in comsol. I solve the magnetic field with a stationary solver and the thermal with time-dependent. The coupling is some sort of weak coupling. In the variables, I define a variable X which is a function of normH. I solve magnetic field. I have the solution. When I plot normB and X, both looks reasonable. Now I use the variable X as an input boundary heat source in the 'heat transfer in solids' physics and solve the time-dependent. The solution converge but the result is equivalent to considering the boundary heat source = 0, meaning that the value of X is not taken into account.

I also tried to use the solution of the stationary as 'variables that are not solved for', in the time dependent solver, but the solution fails with an error: inconsistent initial values.

Is there any way to uses the variable calculated from the one solution to use as an input to the other solver?

0 Replies Last Post 16 mag 2018, 09:57 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Bishal Silwal

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.