Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

calculate the heat flux difference across a boundary using up and down operator ?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

there are two domains, domain 1 and domain 2, they are connected with each other through boundary 1.
the heat flux across the boundary 1 is discontinuous (for example, flux1 in domain 1, flux2 in domain 2, flux1>flux2), and I want to get the difference between these two fluxes.
I read the user's guide, and find that the operators "up", "down" can make it, which one should I use? and I don't know how to use these two operators even after reading the user's guide.
the space dimension is just 1D
Can anybody give me an example?
Thank you!

12 Replies Last Post 5 feb 2011, 02:22 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 feb 2011, 02:33 GMT-5
Hi

by default (Finish Union mode) two adjacent boundaries have "continuity" BC between them. You need to select the Assembly mode (+create imprints) and use the Selection list to identify the correct boundary (switch back to geometry mode to see the numbering w.r.t. geometrical objects)

Then you need to define the physics on your boundary to link the discontinuity somehow, and then you have access to the up down. Note the number id of the boundaries appear on the "down/inward side.

Have you tried the coordinate plotting under: Results - Plot Group - More ...

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi by default (Finish Union mode) two adjacent boundaries have "continuity" BC between them. You need to select the Assembly mode (+create imprints) and use the Selection list to identify the correct boundary (switch back to geometry mode to see the numbering w.r.t. geometrical objects) Then you need to define the physics on your boundary to link the discontinuity somehow, and then you have access to the up down. Note the number id of the boundaries appear on the "down/inward side. Have you tried the coordinate plotting under: Results - Plot Group - More ... -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 feb 2011, 11:14 GMT-5

Hi

by default (Finish Union mode) two adjacent boundaries have "continuity" BC between them. You need to select the Assembly mode (+create imprints) and use the Selection list to identify the correct boundary (switch back to geometry mode to see the numbering w.r.t. geometrical objects)

Then you need to define the physics on your boundary to link the discontinuity somehow, and then you have access to the up down. Note the number id of the boundaries appear on the "down/inward side.

--
Good luck
Ivar

Hi, Ivar, thank you!
I still have questions.
1)"use the Selection list to identify the correct boundary", how to do it? Create a Selection under Definition, and choose the boundary?
2) "define the physics on your boundary to link the discontinuity", what is define the physics on boundary? Is that mean set the boundary condition?
[QUOTE] Hi by default (Finish Union mode) two adjacent boundaries have "continuity" BC between them. You need to select the Assembly mode (+create imprints) and use the Selection list to identify the correct boundary (switch back to geometry mode to see the numbering w.r.t. geometrical objects) Then you need to define the physics on your boundary to link the discontinuity somehow, and then you have access to the up down. Note the number id of the boundaries appear on the "down/inward side. Have you tried the coordinate plotting under: Results - Plot Group - More ... -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Hi, Ivar, thank you! I still have questions. 1)"use the Selection list to identify the correct boundary", how to do it? Create a Selection under Definition, and choose the boundary? 2) "define the physics on your boundary to link the discontinuity", what is define the physics on boundary? Is that mean set the boundary condition?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 feb 2011, 13:08 GMT-5
Hi

you have the selection list window see the small arrow "v" on the first GUI border. This window gives you the list of the ids for the different items, it changes by selecting geoemtry (Objects) or entities (domains, boundaries, edges or points in the view border of the graphics window). This is very usefull for selecting items when you have many, and t sort out the "left and right" or up/down boundaries whith assembly mode on.

then by default interiour domains in "union" modes implies continuity of flux across the boundary. When you use assembly mdoe, there is no default coupling (isolation) between the adjacent boundaries, you must specify thenm expliitely, this means you can add isolation surfaces with your own physics not respecting the continuity of flux (but still respecting phyiscs and PDE in general to allow COMSOL to solve the issue

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you have the selection list window see the small arrow "v" on the first GUI border. This window gives you the list of the ids for the different items, it changes by selecting geoemtry (Objects) or entities (domains, boundaries, edges or points in the view border of the graphics window). This is very usefull for selecting items when you have many, and t sort out the "left and right" or up/down boundaries whith assembly mode on. then by default interiour domains in "union" modes implies continuity of flux across the boundary. When you use assembly mdoe, there is no default coupling (isolation) between the adjacent boundaries, you must specify thenm expliitely, this means you can add isolation surfaces with your own physics not respecting the continuity of flux (but still respecting phyiscs and PDE in general to allow COMSOL to solve the issue -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 feb 2011, 17:53 GMT-5

Hi

you have the selection list window see the small arrow "v" on the first GUI border. This window gives you the list of the ids for the different items, it changes by selecting geoemtry (Objects) or entities (domains, boundaries, edges or points in the view border of the graphics window). This is very usefull for selecting items when you have many, and t sort out the "left and right" or up/down boundaries whith assembly mode on.

then by default interiour domains in "union" modes implies continuity of flux across the boundary. When you use assembly mdoe, there is no default coupling (isolation) between the adjacent boundaries, you must specify thenm expliitely, this means you can add isolation surfaces with your own physics not respecting the continuity of flux (but still respecting phyiscs and PDE in general to allow COMSOL to solve the issue

--
Good luck
Ivar

Hi, Ivar, thank you very much
What is "isolation surface"? How to add isolation surfaces with my own physics on the adjacent boundaries?
[QUOTE] Hi you have the selection list window see the small arrow "v" on the first GUI border. This window gives you the list of the ids for the different items, it changes by selecting geoemtry (Objects) or entities (domains, boundaries, edges or points in the view border of the graphics window). This is very usefull for selecting items when you have many, and t sort out the "left and right" or up/down boundaries whith assembly mode on. then by default interiour domains in "union" modes implies continuity of flux across the boundary. When you use assembly mdoe, there is no default coupling (isolation) between the adjacent boundaries, you must specify thenm expliitely, this means you can add isolation surfaces with your own physics not respecting the continuity of flux (but still respecting phyiscs and PDE in general to allow COMSOL to solve the issue -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Hi, Ivar, thank you very much What is "isolation surface"? How to add isolation surfaces with my own physics on the adjacent boundaries?

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 feb 2011, 01:32 GMT-5
Hi

check the doc and the model for "thin film resistor" case, or look for boundary physics. In COMSOL you can simulate a thin layer as a boundary property to avoid to mesh it in the thickness (assuming you have a constant gradient in the thickness direction

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi check the doc and the model for "thin film resistor" case, or look for boundary physics. In COMSOL you can simulate a thin layer as a boundary property to avoid to mesh it in the thickness (assuming you have a constant gradient in the thickness direction -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 feb 2011, 10:47 GMT-5

Hi

check the doc and the model for "thin film resistor" case, or look for boundary physics. In COMSOL you can simulate a thin layer as a boundary property to avoid to mesh it in the thickness (assuming you have a constant gradient in the thickness direction

--
Good luck
Ivar

Thank you, Ivar!
I cannot find the model for "thin film resistor" in the Model Library, my comsol verion is 4
where is it? Thank you!
[QUOTE] Hi check the doc and the model for "thin film resistor" case, or look for boundary physics. In COMSOL you can simulate a thin layer as a boundary property to avoid to mesh it in the thickness (assuming you have a constant gradient in the thickness direction -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Thank you, Ivar! I cannot find the model for "thin film resistor" in the Model Library, my comsol verion is 4 where is it? Thank you!

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 feb 2011, 05:49 GMT-5
Hi

if you have 4.0 it's probably not yet in there, I believe its in 4.1 (certainly 3.5) Have you tried a model library update ? but it could be only available in the current 4.1 not sure, no access any longer to 4.0

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you have 4.0 it's probably not yet in there, I believe its in 4.1 (certainly 3.5) Have you tried a model library update ? but it could be only available in the current 4.1 not sure, no access any longer to 4.0 -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 feb 2011, 10:09 GMT-5

Hi

if you have 4.0 it's probably not yet in there, I believe its in 4.1 (certainly 3.5) Have you tried a model library update ? but it could be only available in the current 4.1 not sure, no access any longer to 4.0

--
Good luck
Ivar

Okay, thank you, Ivar!
[QUOTE] Hi if you have 4.0 it's probably not yet in there, I believe its in 4.1 (certainly 3.5) Have you tried a model library update ? but it could be only available in the current 4.1 not sure, no access any longer to 4.0 -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Okay, thank you, Ivar!

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 feb 2011, 11:51 GMT-5

Hi

--
Good luck
Ivar

Thank you, Ivar
"down/up" can only be used in "Assembly mode"?
[QUOTE] Hi by default (Finish Union mode) two adjacent boundaries have "continuity" BC between them. You need to select the Assembly mode (+create imprints) and use the Selection list to identify the correct boundary (switch back to geometry mode to see the numbering w.r.t. geometrical objects) Then you need to define the physics on your boundary to link the discontinuity somehow, and then you have access to the up down. Note the number id of the boundaries appear on the "down/inward side. Have you tried the coordinate plotting under: Results - Plot Group - More ... -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Thank you, Ivar "down/up" can only be used in "Assembly mode"?

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 feb 2011, 13:37 GMT-5
Hi

on internal boundaries yes, as what is up down on internal boundaries ?

I just got stuck myself in one of those collisions/limitations ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi on internal boundaries yes, as what is up down on internal boundaries ? I just got stuck myself in one of those collisions/limitations ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 feb 2011, 15:03 GMT-5

Hi

on internal boundaries yes, as what is up down on internal boundaries ?

I just got stuck myself in one of those collisions/limitations ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar

Hi, Ivar, thank you!
About the internal boundary, If I create a rectangle, and then add a line at the center of this rectangle to separate it into two new rectangles, does comsol regard this line as the internal boundary by default? or I need to do something to make comsol think this line as a internal boundary?
Thank you!
[QUOTE] Hi on internal boundaries yes, as what is up down on internal boundaries ? I just got stuck myself in one of those collisions/limitations ;) -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Hi, Ivar, thank you! About the internal boundary, If I create a rectangle, and then add a line at the center of this rectangle to separate it into two new rectangles, does comsol regard this line as the internal boundary by default? or I need to do something to make comsol think this line as a internal boundary? Thank you!

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 feb 2011, 02:22 GMT-5
Hi

yes if:
- the line is going cleanly from one boundary to the next
- you are in "Finish Union"

but you will not notice it before you re in th ematerial section, and you ask for the "selection view"

you can obtain the same effect inside the geoemtry section by doing an "union" and then a split

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi yes if: - the line is going cleanly from one boundary to the next - you are in "Finish Union" but you will not notice it before you re in th ematerial section, and you ask for the "selection view" you can obtain the same effect inside the geoemtry section by doing an "union" and then a split -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.