Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

fiber-reinforced composites simulation / heat input

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Comsolers!

I'm dealing with the simulation of fiber-reinforced composites. The image below shows a simplified model of a interlaminar shearstrength test. Four layers of fiber are imbedded in a an epoxy matrix. This composite is mounted on two steel cylinder. Another cylinder put pressure onto the composite from above.

As a result, I get the von Mises stress [Pa] and the displacement. Beyond that, I'm interested in the heat input caused by the pressure of the cylinder respectively the plastic deformation. Here's my question: How can I contain the heat input into my results. I have the "Structural Mechanics Module" and the "Optimization Lap" available (COMSOL 3.5 or 4.0).

Another general question: So far I only got poor results. Do you have some tips for me, how to create the model in order to get a more steady solution process, without errors like " Failed to find a solution for the initial parameter: No convergence, even when using the minimum damping factor. Returned solution has not converged. "

Thanks for your help in advance!
Michael

0 Replies Last Post 2 set 2010, 12:39 CEST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Michael Schütte

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.