Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

X window server error comsol 4.0a on ubuntu 10.04

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I have a problem starting Comsol 4.0a on Ubuntu 10.04. I get the following error:

The program 'SWT' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)'.
(Details: serial 2350 error_code 9 request_code 136 minor_code 3)
(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

Maybe someone has a clue how to solve this problem.

7 Replies Last Post 28 apr 2011, 13:00 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 lug 2010, 06:00 GMT-4
I have a similar problem when using the X server included with Ubuntu 9.10 (same problem with Comsol 4.0): Also an X Window system error, but a different error code:
The program 'SWT' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was '255'.
(Details: serial 5396 error_code 255 request_code 136 minor_code 17)
(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
I have a similar problem when using the X server included with Ubuntu 9.10 (same problem with Comsol 4.0): Also an X Window system error, but a different error code: The program 'SWT' received an X Window System error. This probably reflects a bug in the program. The error was '255'. (Details: serial 5396 error_code 255 request_code 136 minor_code 17) (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously; that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it. To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 lug 2010, 07:50 GMT-4
Can you change the graphic window manager from SWT to Swing in the settings to see if it helps?
Can you change the graphic window manager from SWT to Swing in the settings to see if it helps?

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 lug 2010, 09:32 GMT-4
By the way: You probably need to try remote X (via SSH) or similar to change this setting as of course Comsol 4.0 won't start because of this error. I'll try this later via remote X with another X server version.
Edit: Actually you could manually edit .comsol/v40/comsol.prefs and insert this line:
graphics.rendering.2drend=swing
By the way: You probably need to try remote X (via SSH) or similar to change this setting as of course Comsol 4.0 won't start because of this error. I'll try this later via remote X with another X server version. Edit: Actually you could manually edit .comsol/v40/comsol.prefs and insert this line: graphics.rendering.2drend=swing

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 lug 2010, 07:42 GMT-4
Hi,
thanks a lot folks. Inserting the code line has solved the problem.
Hi, thanks a lot folks. Inserting the code line has solved the problem.

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 lug 2010, 11:34 GMT-4
Yeah, this setting has also solved my problem.
Yeah, this setting has also solved my problem.

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 gen 2011, 11:57 GMT-5
I have the same problem/error with COMSOL 4.1 on Kubuntu 10.04

Edit: Actually you could manually edit .comsol/v40/comsol.prefs and insert this line:
graphics.rendering.2drend=swing

in my case this doesn't work
and actually it seems my comsol doesn't care about the .comsol/v41/comsol.prefs file on starting (even if I delete the file the error I get is the same)

any other tip?

cheers

f

I have the same problem/error with COMSOL 4.1 on Kubuntu 10.04 [QUOTE] Edit: Actually you could manually edit .comsol/v40/comsol.prefs and insert this line: graphics.rendering.2drend=swing [/QUOTE] in my case this doesn't work and actually it seems my comsol doesn't care about the .comsol/v41/comsol.prefs file on starting (even if I delete the file the error I get is the same) any other tip? cheers f

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 apr 2011, 13:00 GMT-4
I have the same problem with 4.1 and ubuntu 10.04. It looks like Comsol 4.1 is not running on Ubuntu 10.04 ...
I have the same problem with 4.1 and ubuntu 10.04. It looks like Comsol 4.1 is not running on Ubuntu 10.04 ...

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.