Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Calculation of Overlap Integral between three modes at different wavelengths

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Is there any way to calculate the overlap integral between different modes calculated at different wavelengths in COMSOL? I tried to extract the field values to an excel file but I am getting the field value at different (x,y) points for each mode. Is there any way to calculate that integral within the COMSOL itself without extracting the field to any excel or Matlab file?

3 Replies Last Post 12 apr 2023, 02:31 GMT-4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 year ago 21 mar 2023, 14:56 GMT-4

Hello SNSPD,

Perhaps this old post might help?

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello SNSPD, Perhaps [this old post](https://www.comsol.com/forum/thread/39139/evaluate-expression-for-different-specific-solutions?last=2013-10-04T14:14:41Z) might help? Best, Jeff

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 year ago 22 mar 2023, 12:03 GMT-4

Jeff has provided a pointer to a method that obtains access to various solutions. The next step is to perform a (surface or volume) integration under Results > Derived Values of the product of two with() evaluations.

I seem to remember someone doing this who was trying to evaluate how closely orthogonal two eigenmode solutions were??

Jeff has provided a pointer to a method that obtains access to various solutions. The next step is to perform a (surface or volume) integration under Results > Derived Values of the product of two with() evaluations. I seem to remember someone doing this who was trying to evaluate how closely orthogonal two eigenmode solutions were??

Posted: 1 year ago 12 apr 2023, 02:31 GMT-4

Thank you both of you for your responses. Both of the responses were very helpful. Now, I want to normalize this integral. I want if all the three modes are same then the overlap integral between the same modes should give me value 1. Any idea how to do this? I have tried multiple formulas. I was able to do it for two modes but could not do for three modes.

Thank you both of you for your responses. Both of the responses were very helpful. Now, I want to normalize this integral. I want if all the three modes are same then the overlap integral between the same modes should give me value 1. Any idea how to do this? I have tried multiple formulas. I was able to do it for two modes but could not do for three modes.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.