Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

"Too many elements" error while meshing.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have been trying to work with the RF Module for the past few weeks. I am repeatedly getting an error while meshing which indicates that the software is unable to build a mesh due to the physics requiring too many number of elements, I have attached error box please help.

2 Replies Last Post 12 mar 2023, 14:47 GMT-4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 year ago 12 mar 2023, 11:03 GMT-4
Updated: 1 year ago 12 mar 2023, 11:13 GMT-4

Although I have not seen that message pop up in my own work before, it seems to be very clear to me in what it is saying. It even tells you what to do -- that is, you need to modify your mesh settings to generate a coarser mesh, or shrink your problem size, or both. Consulting the Comsol help system should help you learn more about generating meshes. There is also a video at https://www.comsol.com/video/building-the-mesh-for-a-model-geometry-in-comsol-multiphysics . If you are new to Comsol Multiphysics, then I am guessing that this is occurring because you are naively attempting to model an electrically-huge volume, likely (but not necessarily) using physics-controlled mesh settings and, if so, that the software is trying to mesh finely enough (just as it should) to track the details of the RF waves. Am I close? Consider posting your .mph file to the forum so others may take a closer look, if you want a more reliable diagnosis.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Although I have not seen that message pop up in my own work before, it seems to be very clear to me in what it is saying. It even tells you what to do -- that is, you need to modify your mesh settings to generate a coarser mesh, or shrink your problem size, or both. Consulting the Comsol help system should help you learn more about generating meshes. There is also a video at https://www.comsol.com/video/building-the-mesh-for-a-model-geometry-in-comsol-multiphysics . If you are new to Comsol Multiphysics, then I am *guessing* that this is occurring because you are naively attempting to model an electrically-huge volume, likely (but not necessarily) using physics-controlled mesh settings and, if so, that the software is trying to mesh finely enough (just as it should) to track the details of the RF waves. Am I close? Consider posting your .mph file to the forum so others may take a closer look, if you want a more reliable diagnosis.

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 year ago 12 mar 2023, 14:47 GMT-4

Very often default meshing works fine. When it doesn't it's usually because the domain size is very large and/ or there are features with dramatically different size.

To get useful advice OP will need to post the (reduced) model.

Very often default meshing works fine. When it doesn't it's usually because the domain size is very large and/ or there are features with dramatically different size. To get useful advice OP will need to post the (reduced) model.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.