Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Failed to create swept mesh for domain: Different Number of edge elements on source and destination.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to mesh a 3D battery pack using the 'swept mesh' tool with the 'Triangular (generate prism)' face meshing method. Whenever I click on the mesh 'build all' I get the following error:

Failed to create swept mesh for domain: Different Number of edge elements on source and destination.

I am new to comsol and I am not quite sure what I am supposed to do from here. I am essentially trying to complete the 'Thermal Distribution in a Pack of Cylindrical Batteries' tutorial from COMSOL. The only difference from the tutorial (which I have attached below for convenience along with my geometry) is that I am using my own geometry instead. The step I am stuck at is 'MESH 1' at page 12 of the tutorial.

If anyone could help I would greatly appreacite it, thank you.

1 Reply Last Post 16 feb 2023, 23:00 GMT-5
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 year ago 16 feb 2023, 23:00 GMT-5
Updated: 1 year ago 16 feb 2023, 23:02 GMT-5

The model you attached doesn't seem to include any of the mesh-related actions that you mentioned, so that makes it difficult to figure out what you did wrong. The error message, "Different Number of edge elements on source and destination," is probably exactly the problem. When you sweep a mesh, you want to sweep it from (ideally) one face to another that is identical to it. If there are any differences, this error could arise. Go back and check which faces were actually being swept in making the mesh (from which face(s) to which face(s) ), in the tutorial. Then compare that to how you did it. I bet you'll see an important difference.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
The model you attached doesn't seem to include any of the mesh-related actions that you mentioned, so that makes it difficult to figure out what you did wrong. The error message, "Different Number of edge elements on source and destination," is probably exactly the problem. When you sweep a mesh, you want to sweep it from (ideally) one face to another that is *identical* to it. If there are any differences, this error could arise. Go back and check which faces were actually being swept in making the mesh (*from* which face(s) *to* which face(s) ), in the tutorial. Then compare that to how you did it. I bet you'll see an important difference.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.