Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulating the magnetization of a ferromagnetic material in a coil

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Good day, I am trying to model a cylindrical piece of Alnico being magnetized in the center of a coil. I have BH-curve data for this material and have manually entered it as a table.

I am trying to simulate the magnetization of the alnico, starting with a remnance of 0 (unmagnetized), as a pulse of current is passed through the coil.

I would ideally like a time-dependant solution which I can use to study how the magnetization in the material changes as the pulse passes through the coil, are there any examples or studies which I can follow along with for this?

So far I have set up the simulation as 2D axisymmetric using the emf module and tried sweeping the current in a stationary solution, though I don't think this is what I actually want as it does not show me the remnance after the current in the coil drops back to 0. Is there another way to simulate this?

2 Replies Last Post 2 lug 2022, 18:49 GMT-4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago 1 lug 2022, 07:40 GMT-4

Aleksandr,

you will need to include hysteresis into your model. Time dependent is not possible in mef, you must use mf, which might be sufficient. I think there is a hysteresis example in the application library using the Jiles-Atherton hysteresis model.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Aleksandr, you will need to include hysteresis into your model. Time dependent is not possible in mef, you must use mf, which might be sufficient. I think there is a hysteresis example in the application library using the Jiles-Atherton hysteresis model. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 2 years ago 2 lug 2022, 18:49 GMT-4

Thanks so much Edgar! I will look into that example and see what I can come up with. If I make progress I will post my model here for others to use

Thanks so much Edgar! I will look into that example and see what I can come up with. If I make progress I will post my model here for others to use

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.