Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Helmholtz on a cylindrical surface (curved surface)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

The below post is related to an archived discussion

Hi

I intend to solve Helmholtz equation (Laplacian+ k^2)*psi =0 which is essentially the equation to solve for eigenmodes and eigenfrequencies. I understand that for 2D and 3D structures, this is quite simple by using EMW module and Eigenfrequency analysis. However, I intend to solve this equation on the surface of a cylinder for instance. A curved surface.

I understand from the Aforementioned topic that I have to do the following:

1- Find the modified Laplacian operator for this specific curved surface which embodies the curvature of the surface in itslef. Then I have the new helmholtz equation as a result, with a crazy new form. 2- Then for general PDE or Coeficient PDE format in COMSOL, use lower dimention option in comsol. This enables me to solve PDE on the surface of my 3D shape. 3- Based on the form of my new calculated Helmholtz euqation, I have to specify the coeficinet of the general PDE format in COMSOL and run the simulation.

Am I correct and is the any other solution for this kind of problem?

Thanks in advance

2 Replies Last Post 30 ago 2022, 16:09 GMT-4

Posted: 2 years ago 2 lug 2022, 12:06 GMT-4

I think I figures it out

One should create a general coeficients PDE forom in "lower dimenion" mode and. Match the coeficients of PDE formula such that they match the ones of Helmholtz. Then an Eigenvalue study has to be added and executed. Done

I think I figures it out One should create a general coeficients PDE forom in "lower dimenion" mode and. Match the coeficients of PDE formula such that they match the ones of Helmholtz. Then an Eigenvalue study has to be added and executed. Done

Posted: 2 years ago 30 ago 2022, 16:09 GMT-4

Hello John,

I am trying to solve a similar problem on curved surface. When you say match the coefficients, do you mean simply write the same PDE but in lower dimensions and let comsol do the rest? I mean, do we need to change anything, along the lines of point 1 in your original question: "Then I have the new helmholtz equation as a result, with a crazy new form".

Thanks, Anurag

Hello John, I am trying to solve a similar problem on curved surface. When you say match the coefficients, do you mean simply write the same PDE but in lower dimensions and let comsol do the rest? I mean, do we need to change anything, along the lines of point 1 in your original question: "Then I have the new helmholtz equation as a result, with a crazy new form". Thanks, Anurag

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.