Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Auxiliary Sweep in Submodel study in Submodelling.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

The model contains a hole inside a rectangle, and one end of the rectangle is fixed, and from the other end, prescribed displacement is given to the rectangle so that the hole deforms. ( model has the plasticity with large deformation). Now I want to analyze the hole deformation in the submodel study using the general extrusion command; I successfully map the displacement around the boundary of the submodel. But in the submodel, I use elasticity only, and that's why stresses are very large in the submodel. If I use plasticity, then converge errors occur in the submodel. To remove converge error, I want to use prescribed displacement using auxiliary sweep in sub modeling so that the deformation occur in the submodel in steps as in the global model.

Can I do it in the COMSOL? How to do it, please help??

If need then I can upload my model.

6 Replies Last Post 30 giu 2022, 09:22 GMT-4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago 29 giu 2022, 08:05 GMT-4

You need to use the same parameter (and parameter range) for the auxiliary sweep in both the global model and the submodel.

When you, for the submodel study, set data in the Variables not solved for section, it is important to use Automatic (all solutions) in order to map the results for the corresponding parameter values.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
You need to use the same parameter (and parameter range) for the auxiliary sweep in both the global model and the submodel. When you, for the submodel study, set data in the *Variables not solved for* section, it is important to use *Automatic (all solutions)* in order to map the results for the corresponding parameter values.

Posted: 2 years ago 29 giu 2022, 08:21 GMT-4

Ok , Thank you very much I will try and inform you.

Ok , Thank you very much I will try and inform you.

Posted: 2 years ago 29 giu 2022, 08:54 GMT-4

For the global model I given prescribed displacement to the rectangle end as ux= -(dtri1(para)), uy=0 ; where d=0.5mm( max displacement) and para is used in axuliary sweep with range(0,0.1,1). tri 1 is a displacement function (for loading and then unloading) after general extrusion for the submodelling I used prescribed displacement as ux=(comp1.genext1(comp1.u))tri2(para) uy=(comp1.genext1(comp1.v))*tri2(para) with same range of para and tri function. and setting as you said. I still getting errors-- Failed to find a solution for all parameters, even when using the minimum parameter step. Iteration for finding elasto-plastic strain variables did not converge. Geometry: geom2, Domain: 1 Failed to evaluate variable. Variable: comp2.solid2.Fiil11, Defined as:

Am I following you or there is something else you want to say.

Thanks for your valuable suggestions.

For the global model I given prescribed displacement to the rectangle end as ux= -(d*tri1(para)), uy=0 ; where d=0.5mm( max displacement) and para is used in axuliary sweep with range(0,0.1,1). tri 1 is a displacement function (for loading and then unloading) after general extrusion for the submodelling I used prescribed displacement as ux=(comp1.genext1(comp1.u))*tri2(para) uy=(comp1.genext1(comp1.v))*tri2(para) with same range of para and tri function. and setting as you said. I still getting errors-- Failed to find a solution for all parameters, even when using the minimum parameter step. Iteration for finding elasto-plastic strain variables did not converge. Geometry: geom2, Domain: 1 Failed to evaluate variable. Variable: comp2.solid2.Fiil11, Defined as: Am I following you or there is something else you want to say. Thanks for your valuable suggestions.

Posted: 2 years ago 30 giu 2022, 05:53 GMT-4
Updated: 2 years ago 30 giu 2022, 09:16 GMT-4

I am still facing errors-

For the global model I given prescribed displacement to the rectangle end as

ux= -(d*tri1(para)), 
                                            uy=0 ; 

where d=0.5mm ( max displacement) and para is used in axuliary sweep with range 0,0.1,1). tri1 is a displacement function (for loading and then unloading) and in submodel after general extrusion , I used prescribed displacement as

ux=(comp1.genext1(comp1.u))*tri2(para) 
                                        uy=(comp1.genext1(comp1.v))*tri2(para) 

with same range of para and tri function. and setting as you said. I still getting errors--

Failed to find a solution for all parameters, even when using the minimum parameter step.         Iteration for finding elasto-plastic strain variables did not converge. 
  Geometry: geom2, Domain: 1 Failed to evaluate variable. Variable: comp2.solid2.Fiil11, Defined as:

Am I following you or there is something else you want to say?

Thanks for your valuable suggestions.

I am still facing errors- For the global model I given prescribed displacement to the rectangle end as ux= -(d*tri1(para)), uy=0 ; where d=0.5mm ( max displacement) and para is used in axuliary sweep with range 0,0.1,1). tri1 is a displacement function (for loading and then unloading) and in submodel after general extrusion , I used prescribed displacement as ux=(comp1.genext1(comp1.u))*tri2(para) uy=(comp1.genext1(comp1.v))*tri2(para) with same range of para and tri function. and setting as you said. I still getting errors-- Failed to find a solution for all parameters, even when using the minimum parameter step. Iteration for finding elasto-plastic strain variables did not converge. Geometry: geom2, Domain: 1 Failed to evaluate variable. Variable: comp2.solid2.Fiil11, Defined as: Am I following you or there is something else you want to say? Thanks for your valuable suggestions.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago 30 giu 2022, 08:48 GMT-4

Hello Shyam,

While COMSOL employees may participate in the Discussion Forum, users of licenses eligible for support under their institution's license agreement should submit their questions via the Support Center for a response from the Technical Support team.

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Shyam, While COMSOL employees may participate in the Discussion Forum, users of licenses eligible for support under their institution's license agreement should submit their questions via the Support Center for a response from the Technical Support team. Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 2 years ago 30 giu 2022, 09:22 GMT-4

Ok, Thanks Jeff I already done it, they sent me some links to understand the submodelling in COMSOL, I am working on that. Thanks.

Ok, Thanks Jeff I already done it, they sent me some links to understand the submodelling in COMSOL, I am working on that. Thanks.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.