Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Octagonal Microwave Oven

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I following the tutorial microwave oven from comsol. I try to built the octagonal shape for microwave oven. when I simulate, the heat generated in the potato doesn't change. Even though I have followed all the steps in the microwave oven tutorial, the only difference is the shape of the microwave oven. what is the problem? Please guide me with necessary step. Thank you very much.

5 Replies Last Post 22 apr 2021, 09:18 GMT-4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 20 apr 2021, 09:28 GMT-4
Updated: 3 years ago 20 apr 2021, 09:34 GMT-4

You said that the heat generated "doesn't change." Do you mean that you obtained exactly the same result as for a rectangular oven, to several digits of precision? Or... do you mean that the potato didn't heat up at all? If the former, is there any chance that you are actually looking at the results from the earlier solution? Bear in mind that depending on what you did when preparing your modified geometry, executing the solution, and then selecting your dataset to be plotted or tabulated, the old solution could still be stored/available in your model. But if the latter, there could be all sort of reasons for why the potato didn't heat up. Either way, perhaps you should post your model file to the forum.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
You said that the heat generated "doesn't change." Do you mean that you obtained *exactly* the same result as for a rectangular oven, to several digits of precision? Or... do you mean that the potato *didn't heat up at all*? If the former, is there any chance that you are actually looking at the results from the earlier solution? Bear in mind that depending on what you did when preparing your modified geometry, executing the solution, and then selecting your dataset to be plotted or tabulated, the old solution *could still be stored/available* in your model. But if the latter, there could be all sort of reasons for why the potato didn't heat up. Either way, perhaps you should post your model file to the forum.

Posted: 3 years ago 20 apr 2021, 17:42 GMT-4

Yes, heat on a potato is not similar to a rectangular oven. what parameters can be modified so that the heat on the potatoes can increase?

Yes, heat on a potato is not similar to a rectangular oven. what parameters can be modified so that the heat on the potatoes can increase?

Posted: 3 years ago 20 apr 2021, 18:17 GMT-4
Updated: 3 years ago 20 apr 2021, 18:20 GMT-4

I'm confused. Should I interpret your new question to mean that: (1) you have already figured out what was wrong with your original model and are no longer interested in discussing that, and (2) you are now seeking advice from the forum about how to design/shape a microwave cavity to more effectively heat a potato?

-------------------
I'm confused. Should I interpret your new question to mean that: (1) you have already figured out what was wrong with your original model and are no longer interested in discussing that, and (2) you are now seeking advice from the forum about how to design/shape a microwave cavity to more effectively heat a potato?

Posted: 3 years ago 22 apr 2021, 08:29 GMT-4

I'm sorry about that, maybe what I'm asking isn't clear. In rectangular microwave oven the heat of potato can increase significantly. But, in octagonal microwave oven the heat of potato can not increase significantly. The simulation time is the same. I don't know what step i missed, because I following the tutorial microwave oven from comsol. Thank you very much.

I'm sorry about that, maybe what I'm asking isn't clear. In rectangular microwave oven the heat of potato can increase significantly. But, in octagonal microwave oven the heat of potato can not increase significantly. The simulation time is the same. I don't know what step i missed, because I following the tutorial microwave oven from comsol. Thank you very much.

Posted: 3 years ago 22 apr 2021, 09:18 GMT-4
Updated: 3 years ago 22 apr 2021, 09:24 GMT-4

Well, based only on the pictures you provided, you seem to be generating stronger fields (at least for the snapshot of the z-component of E that you plotted; a normE plot would have been more informative) in the vicinity of the potato, for the case of the rectangular oven. Stronger fields in/on the potato would be consistent with more rapid heating. What reason, if any, did you have to suppose that using an octagonal cross section (along with any other geometric or other changes that you might have made in your model, but which one can't tell from the pictures), would be beneficial? Do you have some literature, perhaps, that suggests octagonal-cylindrical ovens should work better? And your feed system appears to have changed also.

-------------------
Well, based only on the pictures you provided, you *seem* to be generating stronger fields (at least for the *snapshot* of the z-component of E that you plotted; a normE plot would have been more informative) in the vicinity of the potato, for the case of the rectangular oven. Stronger fields in/on the potato would be consistent with more rapid heating. What reason, if any, did you have to suppose that using an *octagonal* cross section (along with any other geometric or other changes that you might have made in your model, but which one can't tell from the pictures), would be beneficial? Do you have some literature, perhaps, that suggests octagonal-cylindrical ovens should work better? And your feed system appears to have changed also.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.