Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Frequency Domain analysis of 3D coil with permanent magnet

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I have a 3D homogenized coil around a permanent magnet (2.5kA/m, z-direction) where an alternating current of 2.5kHz is applied. I am performing a Frequency Domain study to examine the AC effect of the combined magnetic field. However, during this study it turned out that also the magnetization of the permanent magnet has a harmonic shape instead of a constant value. Is there a way to keep this magnetization constant for this type of study or do I need to switch to a Time Domain study?

Best regards,

3 Replies Last Post 27 gen 2021, 14:40 GMT-5
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 24 gen 2021, 04:43 GMT-5

Paul,

in case the AC signal is small it can be treated as a perturbation in a small signal analysis. If it is not small the time domain is the way to go.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Paul, in case the AC signal is small it can be treated as a perturbation in a small signal analysis. If it is not small the time domain is the way to go. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 3 years ago 27 gen 2021, 08:45 GMT-5

Edgar,

Thanks for the quick response. The stationary magnetic field strength is 230mT and the coil's AC generates an additional 3mT field. I have used a perturbation study in this case. I assume that it is small enough?

Best regards, Paul

Edgar, Thanks for the quick response. The stationary magnetic field strength is 230mT and the coil's AC generates an additional 3mT field. I have used a perturbation study in this case. I assume that it is small enough? Best regards, Paul

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 27 gen 2021, 14:40 GMT-5

Yes, that should be good enough.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Yes, that should be good enough.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.