Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Piezo Loading

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a 3D piezo model and the output is currently a floating potential. This tells me the theoretical unloaded voltage gain. I'm working on possibly using a global equation of a simple ohms law relation between voltage resistance and power. Since the resistive load can be purely numerical. But I haven't been able to figure out how to make this work. In the actual simulation. Since the voltage output is a boundary condition and the relationship need to be global.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, or any links to pages with similar information.

3 Replies Last Post 8 mar 2013, 10:22 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Mike Bradley

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 dic 2010, 17:11 GMT-5
Hi,

I came across your post regarding a piezo transformer.
I am new to COMSOL, and have to do an FEM analysis of a piezoelectric transformer. I started with Electrostatics and Structural strain models.
I am confused how to define the electric potential and the resultant mechanical vibration to give an electrical output. What are the parameters that I need to define (subdomain, boundary both)?

Your input will be of great help for me to kick-start.

Sneha
Hi, I came across your post regarding a piezo transformer. I am new to COMSOL, and have to do an FEM analysis of a piezoelectric transformer. I started with Electrostatics and Structural strain models. I am confused how to define the electric potential and the resultant mechanical vibration to give an electrical output. What are the parameters that I need to define (subdomain, boundary both)? Your input will be of great help for me to kick-start. Sneha

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 dic 2010, 13:12 GMT-5
I have been working with (attempting) to couple the AC DC module (electrical circuits) with the structural mechanics (piezoelectric) material models with very limited success.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Mike Bradley
I have been working with (attempting) to couple the AC DC module (electrical circuits) with the structural mechanics (piezoelectric) material models with very limited success. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Mike Bradley

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 mar 2013, 10:22 GMT-5
Hello,

I have been able to simulate a piezoelectric transformer with the help of 'Piezoelectric Devices' and 'Electrical circuit' in COMSOL 4.2a version.

I have tried a combination of materials for the piezo with various coupling coefficients and other parameters. One issue I'm facing is that the voltage levels at the output do not seem to be affected by the material properties which obviously should not happen.

Have you worked with the in-built or user defined materials for assigning to the piezo?
Any kind of input will be of great help!

Thanks,
Sneha
Hello, I have been able to simulate a piezoelectric transformer with the help of 'Piezoelectric Devices' and 'Electrical circuit' in COMSOL 4.2a version. I have tried a combination of materials for the piezo with various coupling coefficients and other parameters. One issue I'm facing is that the voltage levels at the output do not seem to be affected by the material properties which obviously should not happen. Have you worked with the in-built or user defined materials for assigning to the piezo? Any kind of input will be of great help! Thanks, Sneha

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.