Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Apply acceleration vector to a cantielever beam

Diego Andrés Alvarez Marín

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am very new to COMSOL.

I am trying to model a one degree of cantielever beam which as input load the one produced by an earthquake. Thus, I need to specify to COMSOL the acceleration vector of that seism.

Can somebody please give me some clue on how to do that?

Thank you very much,

Kind regards,

Diego Andrés

4 Replies Last Post 17 nov 2016, 04:36 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 gen 2010, 03:41 GMT-5
Hi

well if you want to apply an acceleration load (i.e. a "space-craft launch load") you typically apply an acceleration field, in the harmonic mode (equivalent to apply a gravity acceleration field as for a static gravity sag analysis:

define constants:

G0= 1[lbf/lb] or just = 9.81 [m/s^2]

gravity sag in "smsld":

static mode, Load on subdomain Fz = G*rho_smsld

define a function

Acc (freq) = amplitude spectrum of your acceleration over desired frequency domain

In harmonic mode: parameter "freq" from 10 .. 500 Hz with TBD defined resolution

apply sub-domain load F = acc(freq)*rho_smsld

and off you go. Do you catch tha analogy with the ravity field case at feq=0 (i.e. static) ?

Its easy no? once you think about it, just apply your physics, that is what COMSOL is about, but you do not have all your physics predefined, as in most other FEM codes, this gives you far more freedom and allows to do thing not easily possible before

Good luck
Ivar

Hi well if you want to apply an acceleration load (i.e. a "space-craft launch load") you typically apply an acceleration field, in the harmonic mode (equivalent to apply a gravity acceleration field as for a static gravity sag analysis: define constants: G0= 1[lbf/lb] or just = 9.81 [m/s^2] gravity sag in "smsld": static mode, Load on subdomain Fz = G*rho_smsld define a function Acc (freq) = amplitude spectrum of your acceleration over desired frequency domain In harmonic mode: parameter "freq" from 10 .. 500 Hz with TBD defined resolution apply sub-domain load F = acc(freq)*rho_smsld and off you go. Do you catch tha analogy with the ravity field case at feq=0 (i.e. static) ? Its easy no? once you think about it, just apply your physics, that is what COMSOL is about, but you do not have all your physics predefined, as in most other FEM codes, this gives you far more freedom and allows to do thing not easily possible before Good luck Ivar

Posted: 9 years ago 29 ott 2014, 03:44 GMT-4
Dear Ivar,

How to apply acceleration in Time-domain analysis. I also understand 'gravity sag in "smsld"'

--
RUBAN SUGUMAR
Dear Ivar, How to apply acceleration in Time-domain analysis. I also understand 'gravity sag in "smsld"' -- RUBAN SUGUMAR

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 9 years ago 30 ott 2014, 17:02 GMT-4
Hi

you need to be more precise: what kind of acceleration ?

Gravity = volume force as "rho*g_const" ?
rotational acceleration, boundary forces ...

In fact normally you do not apply directly an acceleration but rather you define a load of some kind of the type "rho*a" on each element dx*dy*dz of a domain or boundary

And do you accelerate the fixed boundary ? if so you have to check your equation because fixed and acceleration is not really compatible ...

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you need to be more precise: what kind of acceleration ? Gravity = volume force as "rho*g_const" ? rotational acceleration, boundary forces ... In fact normally you do not apply directly an acceleration but rather you define a load of some kind of the type "rho*a" on each element dx*dy*dz of a domain or boundary And do you accelerate the fixed boundary ? if so you have to check your equation because fixed and acceleration is not really compatible ... -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 7 years ago 17 nov 2016, 04:36 GMT-5
hi
I am trying to check the result after applying g in piezoelectric energy harvester kindly help i am very new to comsol
hi I am trying to check the result after applying g in piezoelectric energy harvester kindly help i am very new to comsol

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.