Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Normal and Tangential derivatives at boundary

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am solving a PDE with the Weak Form PDE in 2D. I have weak contributions defined on the boundary that need to be defined with respect to derivatives normal and tangential to the boundary. How do I write those derivatives?

For example I have a boundary along the y-axis with a weak contribution of, say, uytest(u) or uxtest(u). The normal direction here \hat{n}=\hat{x} and the tangential direction is \hat{t}=\hat{y}.

What will be the right way to write 'un' or 'ut' derivatives for an arbitrary geometry?

Thanks a lot, Avishai

1 Reply Last Post 4 dic 2020, 16:05 GMT-5

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago 4 dic 2020, 16:05 GMT-5

I think I solved this.

In 2D (nx,ny) will be the normal units vector, and using a convention of \hat{n}\times\hat{t}=+\hat{z}, I can define a tangential unit vector by (-ny,nx).

I think I solved this. In 2D (nx,ny) will be the normal units vector, and using a convention of \hat{n}\times\hat{t}=+\hat{z}, I can define a tangential unit vector by (-ny,nx).

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.