Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Minimization of free energy

Fernando J. Pena Cantu

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi I am using comsol to figure out how liquid crystals behave when an electric field is applied.

I do this by minimizing the free energy density of the liquid crystals.

The PDE to does this is the following one

I solve this PDE using the poisson's equation in the math module. The main issue that I am having is that depending on the intial guess it will either find the maximun or the minimun energy. This results in errors happening in certain section where intead of finding the minimun energy it found the maximun! An example picture was added to the files.

Unfortunately, giving it a better intial guess hasn't help me at all. Is there a way I can introduce a constrain so it reduces the free energy density instead of making it higher?

0 Replies Last Post 15 giu 2020, 11:32 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Fernando J. Pena Cantu

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.