Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Disc space occupied by a mph file.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All Greetings of the day. I have a doubt regarding the disc space occupiedby a mph fle. I am trying to simulate the corona discharge for a needle-sphere electrode with oil as a medium(Similar geometry as the IEC-60897 standard) After geomety design and inputting all the required inputs and boundary conditions,while running the simulaton the mph file occupying a disc space of 24 GB. Even the geometry is not so completed, then why the file ocupying a lots of space? Please clear my doubt.

2 Replies Last Post 27 feb 2020, 16:37 GMT-5

Posted: 4 years ago 27 feb 2020, 15:10 GMT-5
Updated: 4 years ago 27 feb 2020, 15:12 GMT-5

Hi Manoj,

Do you mean that the mph file is 24 Gb AFTER the simulation? Also, are you running time dependent simulations? If so, then I would check your study configuration. More specifically, if your study settings time steps are set too small, then alot of solutions will be stored and your solved model will be vary large. Note that the "Times" in the study setting do not determine the time steps by the solver, but only the times saved for post-processing. Thus, I would set the "Times" to be the minimum amount need for post-processing.

Cheers,

Alex

Hi Manoj, Do you mean that the mph file is 24 Gb AFTER the simulation? Also, are you running time dependent simulations? If so, then I would check your study configuration. More specifically, if your study settings time steps are set too small, then alot of solutions will be stored and your solved model will be vary large. Note that the "Times" in the study setting do not determine the time steps by the solver, but only the times saved for post-processing. Thus, I would set the "Times" to be the minimum amount need for post-processing. Cheers, Alex

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago 27 feb 2020, 16:37 GMT-5

Some simulations, especially time-dependent 3D models with large numbers of degrees of freedom and where the results during many time steps are stored, consume a lot of disk space. I've had some single files exceed 100 GB in size. These are cumbersome, of course. I recommend that if you really need to create and execute such models, get some large internal solid state drives and some even larger (multi-TB) external high-speed (USB 3.0 or faster) disk drives to store your output files. Fortunately, external drives (especially the kind that require external power supplies) are much cheaper, and faster, than they used to be. You can add multi-TB to your overall file storage capacity at relatively low cost.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Some simulations, especially time-dependent 3D models with large numbers of degrees of freedom and where the results during many time steps are stored, consume a lot of disk space. I've had some single files exceed 100 GB in size. These are cumbersome, of course. I recommend that if you really need to create and execute such models, get some large internal solid state drives and some even larger (multi-TB) external high-speed (USB 3.0 or faster) disk drives to store your output files. Fortunately, external drives (especially the kind that require external power supplies) are much cheaper, and faster, than they used to be. You can add multi-TB to your overall file storage capacity at relatively low cost.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.