Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Should this be considered as a concentrated or diluted species? membrane contactor

Asalia Environmental Engineering

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello!

I am fairly new to COMSOL, even after reading the manual and configuration book I still can't figure out which physics, I should use, concentrated species or diluted species?

I want to model liquid-liquid membrane contactor in which the wastewater that contains dissolved ammonia will pass through the membrane and will be catch by H2SO4 on the other side. So the outflow of the wastewater will be free from ammonia.

From what I understood from the manual, I should consider this diluted species since the ammonia is dissolved in a wastewater. But I am not convinced myself. Any other opinion or answer?

Thank you!! I really need help for this.

-------------------
-Lia

4 Replies Last Post 28 feb 2020, 03:47 GMT-5

Posted: 4 years ago 24 feb 2020, 08:00 GMT-5

I would say diluted speciesbecause NH3 + H2O --> NH4+ + OH-.

Concentrated species module applies to, e.g. mixtures of hydrocarbons and systems where the molar fraction of the solute is comparable to that of the solvent. What is your ammonia concentration?

I would say diluted speciesbecause NH3 + H2O --> NH4+ + OH-. Concentrated species module applies to, e.g. mixtures of hydrocarbons and systems where the molar fraction of the solute is comparable to that of the solvent. What is your ammonia concentration?

Posted: 4 years ago 24 feb 2020, 20:44 GMT-5

I would say diluted speciesbecause NH3 + H2O --> NH4+ + OH-.

Concentrated species module applies to, e.g. mixtures of hydrocarbons and systems where the molar fraction of the solute is comparable to that of the solvent. What is your ammonia concentration?

Thank you for the response!! The ammonia concentration will be around 2000-3000 ppm~ not yet sure since I am planning to make it varies from low, medium, and high concentration.

-------------------
-Lia
>I would say diluted speciesbecause NH3 + H2O --> NH4+ + OH-. > >Concentrated species module applies to, e.g. mixtures of hydrocarbons and systems where the molar fraction of the solute is comparable to that of the solvent. What is your ammonia concentration? Thank you for the response!! The ammonia concentration will be around 2000-3000 ppm~ not yet sure since I am planning to make it varies from low, medium, and high concentration.

Posted: 4 years ago 27 feb 2020, 05:34 GMT-5

1000 ppm is 1 g/L, dilute species, definetely.

Posted: 4 years ago 28 feb 2020, 03:47 GMT-5

Alright! Thank you~~

-------------------
-Lia
>1000 ppm is 1 g/L, dilute species, definetely. Alright! Thank you~~

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.