Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Inconsistent Potential Over a Cylindrical Surface

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I made the following construction in COMSOL (This is a cut):

Two cylinders, the inner one in the middle is a solid cylindrical conductor. The thick outer cylindrical shell, along with the two small cylinders above and below the even smaller middle one, represent air.

I set the space charge density of the conductor (the small cylinder in the middle) to 1 C/m^3, I then applied a tetrahedral meshing to the conductor and a swept mesh to the surroundings. After running the simulation, I was interested in the potential over the surface of the conductor, here's what it looked like:

There is clearly an inconsistency in the plot above, since the potential is constant over the surface of a conductor, the plot should be monochromatic.

Here are some screenshots that might be helpful.

Any help would be more than welcome.

2 Replies Last Post 3 set 2019, 19:32 GMT-4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago 3 set 2019, 09:34 GMT-4
Updated: 5 years ago 3 set 2019, 13:02 GMT-4

Hello Steven,

The wide range of colors is misleading you. Check out the color bar: all colors correspond to essentially the same value (The values are all within .1% of each other since 3 digits are displayed here).

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Steven, The wide range of colors is misleading you. Check out the color bar: all colors correspond to essentially the same value (The values are all within .1% of each other since 3 digits are displayed here). Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 5 years ago 3 set 2019, 19:32 GMT-4
Updated: 5 years ago 3 set 2019, 19:32 GMT-4

Thank you Jeff,

Indeed, after running additional tests, the potential seemed to be constant over the whole surface and within, and its value was exactly equal to the one shown on the colorbar, i.e., .

Regards,

Steven

Thank you Jeff, Indeed, after running additional tests, the potential seemed to be constant over the whole surface and within, and its value was exactly equal to the one shown on the colorbar, i.e., 4.52\times 10^{10}~V . Regards, Steven

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.