Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Thin electrically insulating layer in MF

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I would like to model a setup for inductive physics with the mf module, which contains two conductive domains (with induced eddy currents) with a thin insulating layer between them. I do not want to model this thin layer due to the associated meshing difficulties. Is it possible to prescribe a boundary condition on their interface boundary, which (1) creates a discontinuity in the induced current, and (2) prescribes the condition that the induced currents have no normal components at this boundary (on both sides)? This question has already been asked, but I have found no working answer. A step-by-step example would be the best. Thank you Daniel

2 Replies Last Post 15 ago 2019, 07:56 GMT-4

Posted: 5 years ago 15 ago 2019, 05:15 GMT-4
Updated: 5 years ago 15 ago 2019, 05:12 GMT-4

Dear Barna,

I would recommend to use the Transition Boundary Condition. You can find details on this in the documentation and some info in the release highlights:

https://www.comsol.com/release/5.4/rf-module

BR, Árpád

Dear Barna, I would recommend to use the Transition Boundary Condition. You can find details on this in the documentation and some info in the release highlights: https://www.comsol.com/release/5.4/rf-module BR, Árpád

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 5 years ago 15 ago 2019, 07:56 GMT-4
Updated: 5 years ago 15 ago 2019, 07:47 GMT-4

Barna, Arpad,

actually the transition BC is meant to represent a thin conductive layer in a model, not an insulating layer. Ignoring this, I tried to use it to model a crack in a metal for some eddy current testing appliances. It didn't work and also the advice from support was that I wouldn't get around physically introducing the crack. But this was a few years ago and things may have changed?

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Barna, Arpad, actually the transition BC is meant to represent a thin conductive layer in a model, not an insulating layer. Ignoring this, I tried to use it to model a crack in a metal for some eddy current testing appliances. It didn't work and also the advice from support was that I wouldn't get around physically introducing the crack. But this was a few years ago and things may have changed? Cheers Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.