Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Exporting the Image for PCB construction

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I made and simulated an RF microstrip model. Now I need to get a printout to construct it. But I couldn't find a good solution to print it in real dimensions on a paper.

For this kind of problems in other softwares, I generally export in SVG format and edit what I need in Inkscape then print it. But unfortunately, Comsol doesn't have SVG or EPS format export options to the best of my knowledge

Do you have an effective solution to printout the model in 2D dimensions in Comsol?

4 Replies Last Post 23 lug 2019, 03:00 GMT-4

Posted: 5 years ago 22 lug 2019, 08:43 GMT-4
Updated: 5 years ago 22 lug 2019, 08:43 GMT-4

Seems like the only option is to export it as a dxf format. I supposed once you have that depending on the next software you use, you should be able to make into whatever you want.

The link below has supported options. It would be nice to have something a little more circuit board friendly so that you can export a file directly to a PCB house and they can manufacture from that file.

https://www.comsol.com/fileformats

Seems like the only option is to export it as a dxf format. I supposed once you have that depending on the next software you use, you should be able to make into whatever you want. The link below has supported options. It would be nice to have something a little more circuit board friendly so that you can export a file directly to a PCB house and they can manufacture from that file. https://www.comsol.com/fileformats

Posted: 5 years ago 22 lug 2019, 10:23 GMT-4
Updated: 5 years ago 22 lug 2019, 10:21 GMT-4

Thank you for your answer Dennis. DXF would be fine, I would import it into Inkscape and done! But the exporting facility for DXF is just in 2D space dimension of Comsol as far as I see.

Thank you for your answer Dennis. DXF would be fine, I would import it into Inkscape and done! But the exporting facility for DXF is just in 2D space dimension of Comsol as far as I see.

Posted: 5 years ago 22 lug 2019, 12:08 GMT-4
Updated: 5 years ago 22 lug 2019, 12:00 GMT-4

I have never used inkscape so cannot comment. I have done this with ansys and it wll export more friendly formats like ODB++. Bug comsol to support your needs. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I have never used inkscape so cannot comment. I have done this with ansys and it wll export more friendly formats like ODB++. Bug comsol to support your needs. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Posted: 5 years ago 23 lug 2019, 03:00 GMT-4
Updated: 5 years ago 23 lug 2019, 02:56 GMT-4

After I understood that there isn't immediate solution for my issue, I rolled up my sleeves and exported my model to 300 dpi PNG image in x-y view. The camera projection was set to orthographic when I was doing that. I scaled the PNG image to the real dimensions in GIMP image editor. I converted the drawing colors to black. Then I printed it and produced the PCB. Fortunately my circuit works fine now as I have simulated in Comsol. But I think it should have been performed in a direct way in Comsol. I guess that exporting into a 2D scalable format must not be difficult for Comsol programmers. By the way, I have submit a support ticket to let them grease the squeaky wheels.

After I understood that there isn't immediate solution for my issue, I rolled up my sleeves and exported my model to 300 dpi PNG image in x-y view. The camera projection was set to orthographic when I was doing that. I scaled the PNG image to the real dimensions in GIMP image editor. I converted the drawing colors to black. Then I printed it and produced the PCB. Fortunately my circuit works fine now as I have simulated in Comsol. But I think it should have been performed in a direct way in Comsol. I guess that exporting into a 2D scalable format must not be difficult for Comsol programmers. By the way, I have submit a support ticket to let them grease the squeaky wheels.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.