Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How Do I Model an FMCW Radar in an Environment

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm fairly new to COMSOL and I am looking for some guidance on how to simulate an Automotive FMCW 77Ghz Radar with various target objects and an additional FMCW Radar to act as potential interference source.

1 Reply Last Post 9 nov 2019, 20:07 CET
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Michael Jernigan

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago 9 nov 2019, 20:07 CET
Updated: 4 years ago 9 nov 2019, 15:08 CET

Considering your application, there is an excellent chance that the problem of interest to you is what is called "electrically large," i.e., it involves geometries and distances that span many, many wavelengths. If so, there may be only a limited role for finite-element based numerical solutions. (Finite elements is the primary numerical method employed in Comsol Multiphysics.) If you are interested in the design/modeling of small antennas relevant to your radar, or even of scattering from structures of small to moderate size (probably not as electrically large as a car, however, at 77 GHz!), then Comsol Multphysics may contribute to your problem solution. There is also a ray-tracing capability in the code, and far-fields can be extracted from near-field solutions, as well. But this is not "really" an optics code... You could create your own "physical optics" models via leveraging far-field antenna solutions, I suppose. But if you really want to model the EM response of something like an automobile to illumination at 77 GHz, then you probably want to employ alternative approximate EM techniques, such as GTD/UTD, or various moment-based or multipole-expansion based methods, which are not directly implemented in Comsol Multiphysics (at least, not as of the last time I looked). Good luck! And if you have a specific Comsol model that you want others to comment on, I encourage you to post it here, for a more detailed response.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Considering your application, there is an excellent chance that the problem of interest to you is what is called "electrically large," i.e., it involves geometries and distances that span many, many wavelengths. If so, there may be only a limited role for finite-element based numerical solutions. (Finite elements is the primary numerical method employed in Comsol Multiphysics.) If you are interested in the design/modeling of small antennas relevant to your radar, or even of scattering from structures of small to moderate size (probably *not* as electrically large as a car, however, at 77 GHz!), then Comsol Multphysics may contribute to your problem solution. There is also a ray-tracing capability in the code, and far-fields can be extracted from near-field solutions, as well. But this is not "really" an optics code... You could create your own "physical optics" models via leveraging far-field antenna solutions, I suppose. But if you really want to model the EM response of something like an automobile to illumination at 77 GHz, then you probably want to employ alternative approximate EM techniques, such as GTD/UTD, or various moment-based or multipole-expansion based methods, which are *not* directly implemented in Comsol Multiphysics (at least, not as of the last time I looked). Good luck! And if you have a specific Comsol model that you want others to comment on, I encourage you to post it here, for a more detailed response.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.