Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modelling of thin layer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi;

I am studying on thermo-mechanical simulation in Comsol 5.4 (licensed version). But I have some difficulty related to thin layer meshing and assigning solid boundary conditions especially. To make a true simulation, I have started with basic blocks. For example; assuming that there are three domains. The thicknesses of these three domains are 0.4 mm , 20 um and 0.4 mm, respectively. The domain with 20 um thickness is an adhesive layer and this adhesive layer bonds the other two domains to each other. Actually; I want to analyze mechanical behaviour of thin adhesive layer under temperature variations. The thin domain is a kind of adhesive (photopolymer). My study is time dependent, physics is thermal stress (multiphysics).

My questions are firstly related to thin layer meshing and solid boundary conditions. Do you suggest any method to mesh thin layer effectively? I have made free tetrahedral and after that refined thin layer. It is true?

For solid boundary conditions: the two boundaries of thin layer are “thin elastic layer”. In the settings, I have calculated only total spring constant. And I have made the bottom boundaries of other two domains “fixed constraint” to fix on a surface. Is that true?

My model is actually more complex as I said, but firstly I want to start with basic blocks.

Regards,

0 Replies Last Post 21 gen 2019, 09:23 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Seval Dönertaş

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.