Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat and moisture transfer in building material

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I have simulated a wall and floor (2D) under staitionary situation. results shows relative humidity of more than 100% in some part of my model! 1- is this relative humidity for material or for the air inside it? 2- how the amount of relative humidity goes over 100%? thanks

1 Reply Last Post 22 lug 2018, 12:12 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 years ago 22 lug 2018, 12:12 GMT-4

Hi,

I do not have the heat transfer module to give you a model specific answer, but your question is rather general:

1. Relative humidity is for the air phase in the porous media (pore space). It is best to go through the governing equation for moisture transport in the user manual, which clarifies the matter.

2. Relative humidity can be > 100%, if you do not allow condensation. The reason it can be > 100% is because of its definition, which is "vapour density at any degree of saturation and temperature/saturated vapour density at the same temperature x 100". So depending on your problem definition, it is possible that you exceed 100%. In such cases, you can activate condensation. Theoretical formulations for all these are once again well-described in the user manual.

Suresh

Hi, I do not have the heat transfer module to give you a model specific answer, but your question is rather general: 1. Relative humidity is for the air phase in the porous media (pore space). It is best to go through the governing equation for moisture transport in the user manual, which clarifies the matter. 2. Relative humidity can be > 100%, if you do not allow condensation. The reason it can be > 100% is because of its definition, which is "vapour density at any degree of saturation and temperature/saturated vapour density at the same temperature x 100". So depending on your problem definition, it is possible that you exceed 100%. In such cases, you can activate condensation. Theoretical formulations for all these are once again well-described in the user manual. Suresh

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.