Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Condition for a variable value (AC/DC) magnetic formulation Superconductor

Bulk Superconductivity

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all, I am making a simulation of a superconductor in the magnetic formulation module of COMSOL. I have coupled the problem with the heat transfer in solids. I set the current density according to (0<T<Tc)(alpha(1-(T/Tc)^2)^1.5)+(T>=Tc)*(0). This should set the current density to be 0 when the T exceeds the critical temperature of the superconductor, Tc. I am using an EJ Power relationship for the resistivity in parallel with a normal resistor, so the resistance is defined by it when the critical temperature is exceeded. However, when using certain values of current density sometimes the model starts to have problems to converge due to it being a 3D model and due to memory limitation I can't make the mesh fine enough to avoid this problem. However as the current concentrates in a point while the problem converges, there is too much heat generation and it throws me an error saying that it tried to evaluate the power of negative number to a non integral number in the expression provided. Therefore, I would like to know if I have written the conditions appropiately as it seems to me that the way I have written the condition should avoid evaluating T for values above Tc.

1 Reply Last Post 18 dic 2017, 05:35 GMT-5
Bulk Superconductivity

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 years ago 18 dic 2017, 05:35 GMT-5
Updated: 6 years ago 18 dic 2017, 05:54 GMT-5

I have an asterisk between Tc)*(alpha but for some reason it doens't detect it properly in the field above.

I have an asterisk between Tc)*(alpha but for some reason it doens't detect it properly in the field above.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.