Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

particle tracing in ExB-field

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hallo everybody

I have just joined the forum and I´am really new with comsol multiphysics so I need some help.

I like to do particle tracing in a electric&magnetic-field. The model consists of two electrodes, with opposite electrostatic potentials and a permanent magnet.
I can solve the two fields separate with comsol AC/DC-module in 3D. Now I like to combine the electric and magnetic field. Is it possible to do this in 3D?

Many thanks for your help in advance!

Best regards
Albert Rauch

2 Replies Last Post 18 gen 2010, 03:46 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Albert Rauch

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 gen 2010, 18:21 GMT-5
-bump-

I'd love to know how to do this too, I have the same problem. I actually have a set of E- and B-field values, and I'd like to do particle seeding and tracing and visualize the trajectories. It's not clear whether it's enough to simply include the electrostatics and magnetostatics packages in multiphysics, and the closest model library example, the magnetic quadrupole lens, is difficult to deduce anything from since it does not include E-fields.

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Mike McDonald
-bump- I'd love to know how to do this too, I have the same problem. I actually have a set of E- and B-field values, and I'd like to do particle seeding and tracing and visualize the trajectories. It's not clear whether it's enough to simply include the electrostatics and magnetostatics packages in multiphysics, and the closest model library example, the magnetic quadrupole lens, is difficult to deduce anything from since it does not include E-fields. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. Mike McDonald

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 gen 2010, 03:46 GMT-5
Hello Mike

Sorry for writing you so late. I think I solved my problem with the particle tracing in an ExB-field.
In the Model navigator I add from the AC/DC-Module -> Statics the two components “Electrostatics (emes)” and the “ Magnetostatics, no currents”. Afterwards I draw the Geometrie and do the Subdomain and Boundary Settings and solved the problem with “Conjugate gradients”.

In Postprocessing->Plot Parameters->Particle Tracing->Equation of motion I wrote for
Fx: partq*(partv*Bz_emnc-partw*By_emnc)+partq*Ex_emes
Fy: partq*(partw*Bx_emnc-partu*Bz_emnc)+partq*Ey_emes
Fz: partq*(partu*By_emnc-partv*Bx_emnc)+partq*Ez_emes

Good luck
Albert
Hello Mike Sorry for writing you so late. I think I solved my problem with the particle tracing in an ExB-field. In the Model navigator I add from the AC/DC-Module -> Statics the two components “Electrostatics (emes)” and the “ Magnetostatics, no currents”. Afterwards I draw the Geometrie and do the Subdomain and Boundary Settings and solved the problem with “Conjugate gradients”. In Postprocessing->Plot Parameters->Particle Tracing->Equation of motion I wrote for Fx: partq*(partv*Bz_emnc-partw*By_emnc)+partq*Ex_emes Fy: partq*(partw*Bx_emnc-partu*Bz_emnc)+partq*Ey_emes Fz: partq*(partu*By_emnc-partv*Bx_emnc)+partq*Ez_emes Good luck Albert

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.