Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

[solved]using displacement of a point as a variable

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am solving a time-dependent study and I would like to use the instant displacement of a point as a variable for electric potential. I know that the displacement along x,y,z is u,v,w. But I only need one point. How can I achieve this? ( I tried to define a point and use "point.u" but does not work)

1 Reply Last Post 1 nov 2017, 09:28 GMT-4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 years ago 1 nov 2017, 09:28 GMT-4
Updated: 6 years ago 1 nov 2017, 10:37 GMT-4

Hello Guanglu,

You can use a component coupling of the integration type for this. This is because integrating a continuous field at one point is the same as picking its value at that point. I am attaching a toy model where an integration component coupling is used to link the voltage on a boundary to the displacement at one point.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Guanglu, You can use a component coupling of the integration type for this. This is because integrating a continuous field at one point is the same as picking its value at that point. I am attaching a toy model where an integration component coupling is used to link the voltage on a boundary to the displacement at one point. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.