Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Domains not applicable in nonisothermal flow module in time dependent conjugate heat transfer simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am simulating a coolant going through a pipe, cooling down two bodies. First, the coolant goes inside a block, where there will also be air flowing inside. The air should be cooled down a bit by this first block. Then the cooland continues to a plate, where it will circulate in a snake-like shape, before going out of the system.

I am using the Heat Transfer + Laminar Flow modules, couples with the nonisothermal flow Multiphysics module.

I have set two inlets boundary conditions (Laminar Flow module). One for the cooland and another for the air. I also have one outlet condition for the exit of the cooland and the air goes away from the box (I have a open boundary condition set on the boundaries of the air volume (cube) enclosing my box. There is also 2 temperature boundariy condition to set the temperature in the air and coolant inlets.

I don't know why but all my domains are as "not applicable" in the nonisothermal flow domains selection.

Can someone help me, please? I don't know what I am missing. The model is attached.

Thanks. Cheers, Mateus

-------------------

3 Replies Last Post 19 set 2017, 10:34 GMT-4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago 18 set 2017, 12:37 GMT-4

Hi Mateus, You currently don't have any domain assigned to the Fluid node in the Heat Transfer branch. Best, Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hi Mateus, You currently don't have any domain assigned to the Fluid node in the Heat Transfer branch. Best, Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago 18 set 2017, 13:31 GMT-4

Stupid me. Thanks for noticing that. At some point I had it selected but I was getting another error. Then I changed a few things in the geometry and it got unselected. Many thanks for the help. It is running now. I will comeback here if I have any problem (or to plot some nice image of the simulation =D )

Thanks once more. Cheers, Mateus

-------------------
Stupid me. Thanks for noticing that. At some point I had it selected but I was getting another error. Then I changed a few things in the geometry and it got unselected. Many thanks for the help. It is running now. I will comeback here if I have any problem (or to plot some nice image of the simulation =D ) Thanks once more. Cheers, Mateus

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago 19 set 2017, 10:34 GMT-4

As a side-remark, when the flow of coolant takes place in a pipe, you may want to consider using the Pipe Flow Module (https://www.comsol.com/pipe-flow-module), if it is available on your license, following this example: https://www.comsol.com/model/cooling-of-an-injection-mold-12371 If applicable, it's quite econmical from the point of view of memory and computation time. Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
As a side-remark, when the flow of coolant takes place in a pipe, you may want to consider using the Pipe Flow Module (https://www.comsol.com/pipe-flow-module), if it is available on your license, following this example: https://www.comsol.com/model/cooling-of-an-injection-mold-12371 If applicable, it's quite econmical from the point of view of memory and computation time. Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.