Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Extruding Plot i.e. E-Field vs. Arc-length vs. Time

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I was trying to extrude a plot by adding another parameter i.e. time (see the attached example). I've searched in the dynamic help/user's manual and the most relevant one is 'Parametric Extrusion 2D' and '1D plot: Global'. All of my attempts to generate the plot were not successful. I was not able to include the time parameter into the plot.

In COMSOL 3.5a, I can simply do this in: Domain Plot Parameters > Line/Extrusion > Extrusion plot (by choosing all stored output times in the 'General' tab)

I would appreciate if you could guide me to solve this problem in COMSOL 4.0a.

Regards,
Rahisham

5 Replies Last Post 12 ago 2010, 06:20 GMT-4
Giovanni Battista Accetta

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 ago 2010, 07:28 GMT-4
Hi,
I switched also to the new version and I have exactly the same problem, let me know if you were able to solve it, please.
Thanks,
giovanni
Hi, I switched also to the new version and I have exactly the same problem, let me know if you were able to solve it, please. Thanks, giovanni

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 ago 2010, 07:47 GMT-4
Ok,
Here you are the solution to the problem:

-in the Data sets menu, create a 2d cut line referred to the solution you are intrested in and select the coordonates of your line.
-always in this menu create a parametric extrusion 1d data set of the above cut line set.
-now in a 2d surface plot refer to the extrusion set and plot the desired quantity and you will have your extrusion cross-section line.
-if you want to have a 3d surface like your example, there is an icon on the top bar which allows you to deform the plot.

I hope it's clear (sorry for my english),
giovanni
Ok, Here you are the solution to the problem: -in the Data sets menu, create a 2d cut line referred to the solution you are intrested in and select the coordonates of your line. -always in this menu create a parametric extrusion 1d data set of the above cut line set. -now in a 2d surface plot refer to the extrusion set and plot the desired quantity and you will have your extrusion cross-section line. -if you want to have a 3d surface like your example, there is an icon on the top bar which allows you to deform the plot. I hope it's clear (sorry for my english), giovanni

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 ago 2010, 14:38 GMT-4
Hi Giovanni,

Thank you for your respond. However, I was looking for something else. Actually, I intend to view how E-field a long a certain path varies with defined / interpolated time. I was using a Time-Depedent Analysis in Electric Current. Anyway, it is good to know you have already found solution for your problem. Thank for willing to help

Regards,
Rahisham
Hi Giovanni, Thank you for your respond. However, I was looking for something else. Actually, I intend to view how E-field a long a certain path varies with defined / interpolated time. I was using a Time-Depedent Analysis in Electric Current. Anyway, it is good to know you have already found solution for your problem. Thank for willing to help Regards, Rahisham

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 ago 2010, 20:25 GMT-4
That's exactly what I did and the same problem I had:
to show a profile along a path(cross-line for instance) with the varying time resalting from the transient analysis.

Actually with the first step, defining a 2d cut line you choose the path you want to show and in the setting you can select which times to include in this data set (for instance you will create a series of lines along the path you have choosen, one for each selected timestep).

With the second step you extrude this series of lines into a new 2d postprocessing geometry where you can plot the variables you need: in your case the electric field. The first time step will be at the bottom of the image, the last one at the top.

Deforming the 2d image you will exactly obtain the same image you were able to have with the extrusion plot option of the cross-line post-processing menu in comsol 3.5a.
That's exactly what I did and the same problem I had: to show a profile along a path(cross-line for instance) with the varying time resalting from the transient analysis. Actually with the first step, defining a 2d cut line you choose the path you want to show and in the setting you can select which times to include in this data set (for instance you will create a series of lines along the path you have choosen, one for each selected timestep). With the second step you extrude this series of lines into a new 2d postprocessing geometry where you can plot the variables you need: in your case the electric field. The first time step will be at the bottom of the image, the last one at the top. Deforming the 2d image you will exactly obtain the same image you were able to have with the extrusion plot option of the cross-line post-processing menu in comsol 3.5a.

Posted: 1 decade ago 12 ago 2010, 06:20 GMT-4
Hello Giovanni,

I was using 'domain plot parameter' instead of 'cross-line plot parameter' in COMSOL 3.5a to generate this plot. 2D cut line may not suitable for my model. This is because the path that I was interested in has some curvature sections. Almost impossible to set these curvature path using 2D cut line. Please let me know if you know how to do that.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Rahisham
Hello Giovanni, I was using 'domain plot parameter' instead of 'cross-line plot parameter' in COMSOL 3.5a to generate this plot. 2D cut line may not suitable for my model. This is because the path that I was interested in has some curvature sections. Almost impossible to set these curvature path using 2D cut line. Please let me know if you know how to do that. Thank you for your help. Regards, Rahisham

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.