Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Using a distorted geometry as the initial geometry for a subsequent model ??

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Maybe I have missed something obvious, but is there a way to save the distorted shape of a structural model (in this case it is a truss) and use it in a subsequent model as if the truss had been built in the distorted shape?

I used a first model to calculate the ~catenary shape of a suspension bridge-like structure and now I'd like to use the distorted positions of all the nodes along the cable as the input geometry for a second model.

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 Reply Last Post 18 giu 2010, 15:46 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 giu 2010, 15:46 GMT-4
Hi

yest in principle I believe it works also for trusses, would have to check, havnet tried, but normally and it works for several other physics, ou can chain a static analysis, save/store the results and restart/continue with the values from this first run.

Seethe solver manager in 3.5 and the study tree in V4. This is definitively easier in V4 for complex cases, but I'm still not fully familiar with the correct settings yet.

The best is to try it out on simple 1D or 2D cases until one catches all the sover/Study settings

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi yest in principle I believe it works also for trusses, would have to check, havnet tried, but normally and it works for several other physics, ou can chain a static analysis, save/store the results and restart/continue with the values from this first run. Seethe solver manager in 3.5 and the study tree in V4. This is definitively easier in V4 for complex cases, but I'm still not fully familiar with the correct settings yet. The best is to try it out on simple 1D or 2D cases until one catches all the sover/Study settings Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.