Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Implement a third order PDE equation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody

I am trying to develop numeric models to simulate non-linear acoustic.
I try to implement a third order PDE Equation in PDE module and some users say that it's not possible to implement this kind of equation in comsol. have they reason ?
You can find the equation in the attached file.
I wait for your help if you have any idea.

Thank you.

3 Replies Last Post 20 mag 2010, 02:17 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 mag 2010, 10:16 GMT-4
it is easy, at least algebraically, take for eg v=dp/dtau as a second function and resolve the system for {p, v}.
You have other choices some possibly better than other depending on the domain ad the BC...
BUT it is not clear that comsol solver will resolve that kind of wave equations properly you will need to try and see what you get.. and read carefully doc regarding wave equation at large..
JF
it is easy, at least algebraically, take for eg v=dp/dtau as a second function and resolve the system for {p, v}. You have other choices some possibly better than other depending on the domain ad the BC... BUT it is not clear that comsol solver will resolve that kind of wave equations properly you will need to try and see what you get.. and read carefully doc regarding wave equation at large.. JF

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 mag 2010, 20:08 GMT-4
thank you for the reply

I tried to do as you have show me but it does not solve the difficulty of the term d^2(p^2)/dtau^2 because my variable is p and I can't find how to declare a second variable p ^ 2.
I hope you will understand what I want to explain.

thank you for the reply I tried to do as you have show me but it does not solve the difficulty of the term d^2(p^2)/dtau^2 because my variable is p and I can't find how to declare a second variable p ^ 2. I hope you will understand what I want to explain.

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 mag 2010, 02:17 GMT-4
If v=dp/dtau
d(p^2)/dtau= 2pv
d^2(p^2)/dtau^2=2(v^2+p*dv/dtau)

I dont see the ALGEBRAIC problem.

I still have doubt wether or not comsol solver can resolve that kind of equation numerically, but I am sure you can write it in comsol and see what happens.
JF
If v=dp/dtau d(p^2)/dtau= 2pv d^2(p^2)/dtau^2=2(v^2+p*dv/dtau) I dont see the ALGEBRAIC problem. I still have doubt wether or not comsol solver can resolve that kind of equation numerically, but I am sure you can write it in comsol and see what happens. JF

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.