Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

What's weak constraints and lm3 lm4?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

When I followed the manual to restructure the MOS transistor,I cannot understand the meaning of weak constraints and in Boundary Expressions Jn=-q*lm3 Jp=q*lm4.

3 Replies Last Post 18 giu 2010, 15:27 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 apr 2010, 01:20 GMT-4
Two chapters in the "COMSOL Multiphysics Modeling Guide" might help:

-Search for "Interpreting Boundary Conditions":
The Lagrange multiplier adjusts to satisfy the requested Dirichlet condition.

The Lagrange mulitpliers are written as greek symbol µ or as lm...

-Also have a look at the chapter "The Weak Form".

Two chapters in the "COMSOL Multiphysics Modeling Guide" might help: -Search for "Interpreting Boundary Conditions": The Lagrange multiplier adjusts to satisfy the requested Dirichlet condition. The Lagrange mulitpliers are written as greek symbol µ or as lm... -Also have a look at the chapter "The Weak Form".

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 giu 2010, 14:57 GMT-4
I imported this example into COMSOL 4 and I'm also having trouble with the Lagrange multipliers. When I run the model, COMSOL can't compute the drain current Id because it is dependent on the lm3 and lm4 terms. How do I get around this?
I imported this example into COMSOL 4 and I'm also having trouble with the Lagrange multipliers. When I run the model, COMSOL can't compute the drain current Id because it is dependent on the lm3 and lm4 terms. How do I get around this?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 giu 2010, 15:27 GMT-4
Hi

if you imported a 3.5 example you should carefully check the equations, as I have noticed that not everything is correctly imported (i.e. name errors or index errors).
This gives you the occasion, too, to learn more on the COMSOL internals, such that next time you need some custom physics you'll write it out in one go

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi if you imported a 3.5 example you should carefully check the equations, as I have noticed that not everything is correctly imported (i.e. name errors or index errors). This gives you the occasion, too, to learn more on the COMSOL internals, such that next time you need some custom physics you'll write it out in one go Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.